Lola May make a comeback in 2010!

Aston Martin have also suggested they may be interested.

I'm afraid I don't think the 2 tier system is a good idea.
Having 1 set of teams on unlimited budgets with restrictions and another set on a budget cap with no restrictions isn't F1 as far as I'm concerned.

Personally I hope this isn't something that gets adopted, even if it does mean not seeing any new teams on the grid.

There was a thread about the 2 tier system earlier: Two Classes for F1

I agree that there shouldn't be a two tier system, but I do agree with a budget cap as this will make the teams employ smarter people, not just people who can think of a design and go with it nearly regardless of cost.

This year is showing that you do not need a massive budget to compete (I am thinking of Williams more than Brawn), you just need the right people.

A budget cap is fine in principle as long as all the teams have to abide by it.

Having said that, it will be almost impossible to police.
The teams will come up with all sorts of creative ways of spending more money than the cap allows and yet still be within the rules.

We see it every year when it comes to the tech' reg's :D

I agree with Brogan on the two tier system (I think every true F1 fan does). I would like to see a budget cap introduced to promote innovation and give private teams more of a chance of winning races. Hopefully Lola and other teams can get themselves onto the grid so we can see more action on the track.

Brogan said:
A budget cap is fine in principle as long as all the teams have to abide by it.

Having said that, it will be almost impossible to police.
The teams will come up with all sorts of creative ways of spending more money than the cap allows and yet still be within the rules.

We see it every year when it comes to the tech' reg's :D

Quite. What is to stop a sponsor purchasing engines, and then providing a team with those engines for free? That leaves £30M to spend elsewhere.

Also, is the budget also expected to cover driver salaries? What about those paid on a £/pts basis?

"Slow down Timo, 4th is fine but if you finish 3rd we'll go over budget..."

It'd be more like "Slow down, Timo, 4th is fine but if you finish 3rd you're sleeping in a tent for the Monaco Grand Prix...". I'd imagine no-one would get caught for creative accounting except one team...

Secretary said:
Mr Mosley, we've got an e-mail from maranello@ferrari.it saying that they've recieved a photocopy of McLaren's budget sheet from a photocopy shop in Woking.
Max said:
Right, if we fine them £30m then they'll go overbudget just by building the car, we can get them out this time Miss Johnson. Forward Mr. di Montezemelo that new complementary FIA front wing he was wanting...

OK, so this exchange may be utterly fictional but you get the picture with that!

Please don't try to e-mail maranello@ferrari.it, it was made up... if you must e-mail the equally real martinw1@mclaren.co.uk or flavio_qpr@renault.fr or bigross@brawngp.org.uk!

If you get a response from flavio_qpr I'll be astounded!

Back
Top Bottom