Limiting Pit Crew Number?

Limiting pit crew men, yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
They don't have tyre warmers in GP2 and from what I understand they are the same tyres they use in F1. Or have I got that wrong?

Alex Zanardi's big crash leaving the pits was blamed on cold tyres wasn't it? Indy Car introduced tyre warmers a little time after that (in 2002?) in response to a number of injuries causes by cars losing control on cold tyres but banned them again in 2012. Sure it's a skill to drive efficiently on cold tyres but when even the best drivers are nearly killing themselves the situation needs to be looked at.

Lower profile tyres seems the obvious solution to me. I just can't understand why they're still using essentially 1960s style tyres in this day and age.

I voted no, because increasing staionary time in the pits would make fewer pit stops a more attractive option, and so the races would be even more about tyre management. Really pit time needs to be reduced, but I can't think of any way other than increasing the speed limit.

Ideally I'd like to see tyres that only last 10.5 laps or 15.5 or 20.5, doesn't really matter how many laps as long as there's a half lap thrown in so they all get punctures, that way we can all watch who's best at driving on flat tyres. ROFL Just another skill that should be tested. LOL

Kewee - Alternatively, they could use the alternative pit in the back straight in places such as Silverstone, Suzuka and Yas Marina. So long as the mechanics use the same equipment from the main pits. And no vehicles. And it all has to be carried by the team principal.

Be funny to see!

At the risk of sounding pedantic, with any change, from DRS to disinte-Pirellis to spec weight, I think what needs asked is what is the sport's ultimate objective, and how does the proposed change better support that objective than what exists now?

Setting aside what I think F1 is about (or should be), even putting on my contrarian's thinking cap, I cannot fabricate any 'realistic' objective that would be better supported by reducing the number of pit crewmen, or arbitrarily adding mandatory pitstops.

Back
Top Bottom