Poll Let...them....RACE

Would you prefer to see stewards less involved in the outcome of races?

• YES

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • NO

Votes: 29 61.7%

• Total voters
At Monza last year Vettel did not need to go anywhere near as far away from Alonso's car as he did. If you compare what happened at Eau Rouge in the previous race Alonso left Webber the same amount of room as he left Vettel at Monza. It was just that Webber had the confidence in what Alonso would do whilst Vettel didn't. Either that or Webber has bigger cojones.

My mother used to say something about judging people by your own standards. I have no idea why her voice should have popped into my head at this moment...

Thanks for all the responses. Most seem opposed to my views on the Vettel incident, so I'll concede on that one.

I was going for a view point of them being less involved, not totally irrelevant.

I think Josh got my viewpoint best:

I voted yes because the question says "less involved" and not "not involved" as many seem to think. The only thing I don't like is that they punish drivers for racing incidents, which is the reason I voted yes.

One phrase I always yell at the TV when a 50/50 acing incident gets investigated is "Shit happens!" and F1 is proof of that. Sometimes it just hits the fan and you've gotta get on with it, man. Is anybody's fault two cars were occupying the same piece of track wanting the position? Will contriving the result help anyone. I say NEH!!!
1195424461295928836liftarn_Raised_fist_2.svg.hi.png

I voted yes, but on the basis that I wish the drivers and teams did less things that were questionable and just used their brains. At the end of the day the stewards can't get in the way if you do nothing wrong. Unless, as Mr Bourdais can affirm, the other car is a Ferrari ...

No, but I would like the stewards to actually do something during the race besides announcing they will investigate after the race.
there's a reason for that soccerman17 which is that Article 16.1 of the 2012 Sporting Regulations says that unless it is abundantly clear that one driver is at fault, any incident involving more than one car is investigated after the race.

16.1 "Incident" means any occurrence or series of occurrences involving one or more drivers, or any action by any driver, which is reported to the stewards by the race director (or noted by the stewards and subsequently investigated) which :
a) Necessitated the suspension of a race under Article 41.
b) Constituted a breach of these Sporting Regulations or the Code.
c) Caused a false start by one or more cars.
d) Caused a collision.
e) Forced a driver off the track.
f) Illegitimately prevented a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre by a driver.
g) Illegitimately impeded another driver during overtaking.
Unless it was completely clear that a driver was in breach of any of the above, any incidents involving more than one car will normally be investigated after the race.

So there you go, that's why ! (my underline by the way)

Incidentally, I voted no, because as a number of you have said, if the drivers always stuck to the rules there'd be no need to Steward them.
They don't and so there is.

the_roadie thank you for that info, I am no longer mad at the stewards, but instead I now think the rules should be changed. If a driver is given a penalty the team should be able to strategize knowing that they have a penalty and try to do the best they can to get back into the race instead of trying to hang on to a decent position only to get penalized in the end.

Back
Top Bottom