Legard No More, bring on the Brundle and DC show.

The good news is that the BBC WILL be broadcasting F1 in HD this year. The bad news is that EJ has been confirmed as the primary analyst and as such will have an expanded role.

Source: Autosport

Coincidently, the other day I was in a shop that was selling TV's (a "TV shop", if you will) and there were full HD TV's showing a demonstration video. Half the screen in standard definition and the other half in high definition.
The objects moving about on screen crossed the line separating the two halves, hence I should be able to see the difference...

After several minutes watching it, I concluded there was very little difference between the two. Only when the object was stationary, split between the SD/HD divide, was a light difference detected. My conclusion? HD is over-rated. In my opinion, of course! :)

You haven't seen proper HD then.

I guarantee if you saw my set up it would blow your mind with regards to resolution and clarity.

Watched a bit of NASCAR in 3D in Comet the other day, first time I've seen 3D TV and thought WOW. Still not watching the telly in sunglasses though 8-)

Speshal said:
Been in hospital for a few days and get out to read this....

Immediate thought was....

Coulthard..... :givemestrength: :givemestrength: :givemestrength: :givemestrength:
Hope your better Spesh, I was about the same, Charlie Cox, Crofty are more like a tradintional commentator. Coulthard will just say red bull are great until Brundle gives up explaining that they aren't. Might start muting the TV and listening to the radio. Out of interest what is wrong with normal Channels showing HD, it has to be these special channels on freesat and sky...

tooncheese said:
Out of interest what is wrong with normal Channels showing HD, it has to be these special channels on freesat and sky...

You can get Freeview HD Channels I think. I guess it will be different when you can only buy HD TV's and that becomes the industry standard.

cider_and_toast said:
You can get Freeview HD Channels I think. I guess it will be different when you can only buy HD TV's and that becomes the industry standard.

Yes, you can. They offer BBC 1HD, BBC HD, ITV 1 HD and Channel 4HD, in addition to the standard Freeview channels. You need a new box to receive them.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD

I have a HD tv with built-in freeview but its not HD Freeview. :( I will be convincing my mate in the flat above to become an F1 fan so I can experience the full F1 HD effect.

Legard is not holding back much on twitter but BBC sport are still using his tweets on their feed.

McZiderRed said:
Coincidently, the other day I was in a shop that was selling TV's (a "TV shop", if you will) and there were full HD TV's showing a demonstration video. Half the screen in standard definition and the other half in high definition.
The objects moving about on screen crossed the line separating the two halves, hence I should be able to see the difference...

After several minutes watching it, I concluded there was very little difference between the two. Only when the object was stationary, split between the SD/HD divide, was a light difference detected. My conclusion? HD is over-rated. In my opinion, of course! :)

When I first bought a HD TV a few years ago, I was in the TV shop and not that particulary impressed with the HD demonstrations but the saleperson said that the HD wasnt as strong on the demonstrations for some reason I cant remember, but I bought the TV and the quality is soooo much better at home, there is a vast difference between the two

To be fair, it can be done. Brundle never let his position as Coulthard's manager compromise his position as a commentator. I'm happy to give Coulthard the benefit of the doubt, but I suspect that he'll be reluctant to say anything that might be deemed critical of his other employer. He did spend a long time at Mclaren after all and will have been well drilled in what to say on record.

So i didn't get the job then :whistle: see this tread

Then again if i did it would of missed the point completly.

I did a lot of reasearch into this side of things when i was trying to look at how i could get involved in motorsport via the Media side of things Commentating, Journalism etc.

It convinices me that you need an out-and-out lead commetor like Legard (even though he himself seems to be like Marmite) A lead commentator needs to have a completly differnt skill set to the 2nd/Colour commentator who is the techincal guy. Got a bad feeling that Brundle + Coulthard or even Davidson/Chandhok/Stewart is really not going to improve things and is going to be unbalanced so i have to say im i am very dissapointed.

>:( Oh and HD, overratted, over adveritsed, gimmicky, peice of horse manure bulit to make everyone buy new tele's set top boxes etc, and play on this idea that we have to have all the latest gadgets. The picture looks excatly the same, not one jot of differnce. Waste of blooming money.

Stuff ya 3D too, go the theatre/Stadium/event instead, 1000 times better and a lot cheaper too. >:(

Fat Jez said:
To be fair, it can be done. Brundle never let his position as Coulthard's manager compromise his position as a commentator.

We'll have to agree to differ on that one Jez. Brundle's lack of objectivity towards Coulthard in the twilight of his career was, from my perspective, staggering. He constantly "bigged" up his less than stellar performances at Red Bull when it was plain to see a younger driver could have done a much better job.

I'd like to give Brundle and DC the benefit of the doubt and wait to see how they perform in the box but I'm not hopeful next season will be much more than a Red Bull love in.

Andrea_Moda_Rules said:
>:( Oh and HD, overratted, over adveritsed, gimmicky, peice of horse manure bulit to make everyone buy new tele's set top boxes etc, and play on this idea that we have to have all the latest gadgets. The picture looks excatly the same, not one jot of differnce. Waste of blooming money.

With respect, plug in a proper HD source or get your eyes tested. There is a world of difference between an HD picture and an SD picture, something a not particularly techie friend of mine noticed when he came round to watch the 6 Nations last year. All I had to do was switch from the BBC 1 feed to the BBC HD feed and he was amazed to find he could see people's faces in the crowd instead of them being a faceless blur. Another friend commented upon watching Gladiator in HD that he could make out the hairs on the wolf's coat at the start of the film. You don't get that with SD.

HD TVs became popular because they took up less room than the CRT models they replaced, not because they were HD. Much easier to get the wife to agree to something that can be hung on the wall like a picture than one that sticks 2 feet out into the room. The fact they were HD ready was almost incidental.

Unfortunately comparing the BBC SD and HD feeds gives a false indication of the difference between the two. The compression used by the BBC on SD transmissions is atrocious and not representative at all of the quality that can be supplied via SD.

The BBC - in their infinite wisdom - conducted a survey asking if the public wanted more content or better quality out of digital TV. The public surveyed - in their infinite wisdom - told the Beeb they wanted more content. Et Voila, we have SD transmissions from the BBC that are arguably poorer quality than the standard analogue!

Having said that HD can be substantially better than anything transmitted in SD. We just have to pray that the BBC doesn't ask the public what they think! Else when the time comes for the BBC to expand their HD services we could end up with the artefact nightmare repeated in HD. :rolleyes:

OT I know but anyone who's in London and wants to see what HD can really do, they're welcome to pop round to my place.

If you can't see a drastic improvement after viewing my kit then you're technically blind so should be listening on 5 Live anyway ;)

snowy said:
Unfortunately comparing the BBC SD and HD feeds gives a false indication of the difference between the two. The compression used by the BBC on SD transmissions is atrocious and not representative at all of the quality that can be supplied via SD.

I could offer the same demonstration using DVD and Bluray as well.

When it comes to high compression used on Freeview, I blame the government and Ofcom as much as anybody else, since the pound signs flashed in front of their eyes when they realised if they lowered the bit rate, they could fit more channels into the same space and get more revenue from taxing the broadcasters. It's the same with DAB - drop the bitrate and you can get more radio stations, but the audio quality is terrible. BTW, ITV's picture quality is far worse than the Beebs!

Back
Top Bottom