Kimi Räikkönen

Probably one of the coolest drivers ever to grace F1 alongside James Hunt.

His part life-style may not have been to some teams liking in F1 but you can't deny that Kimi was probably one of the best drivers on the grid from 2003-09. He should have won more championships than he did!

Kimi won his one and only F1 Championship in 2007. Kimi won 18 races, 16 pole positions, scored 62 podiums and claimed 35 fastest laps in his time in F1.

Kimi is probably the must unluckiest driver to ever grace F1 and the amount of retirements he had no fault of his own were lots.

Kimi won his first GP in 2003 winning the Malaysian GP and he claimed his last victory in F1 at the 2009 Belguim GP.

Kimi started his F1 career in 2001 driving for Sauber, he then went on to drive for Mclaren and Ferrari before quitting the sport in 2009.

Kimi produced probably the 2 most funniest moments to happen in F1 over the last 10 years, when he said :censored: at the Brazilian GP in 2006 when Schumi first retired from F1 and the other one at the Malaysian GP where the race was red flagged and he went to the garage and got into shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops and started eating ice-cream.

Whether you liked him or not you can't deny his talent, he produced one of the comebacks of the past 10 season by starting near the back of the Japan GP in 2005 and went on to win it! Probably one of his best race wins in F1.

Did you like Kimi or Not?

Lewis in would mean Vettel out in my opinion.

Ferrari has always been a bit of a poisoned chalice really. I think given his hero as a kid that Hamilton is much more likely to plump to drive a Mclaren Honda if it improves. I guess we'll see.

I can see Lewis at Ferrari one day.

I also have a horrible image of Kimi keeping his seat for another 30 years.

Well people talk about what a great future Red Bull will have with their young driver programme still going strong,

Mclaren have got Van Doorne and Mercedes have got Wehrlein and Ocon

You wonder what Ferrari are doing with their young driver programme when they make stupid decisions like this :facepalm:. Kimi is the only person:snigger::Dbecause he will be a lot $$$

Can't say that Kimi deserves a seat at Ferrari next season as his record with the prancing horse, since returned has been average at best.

You wonder what Ferrari are doing with their young driver programme

Ferrari developed an extremely talented young driver who would have most certainly have had Kimi's seat by now but unfortunately he died.

Second in line was Perez, who has shown to be no slouch, but he jumped ship to Mclaren. Ferrari let him go because they had Bianci at the time.

3rd in line was Marcellio who, unfortunately, hasn't cut the mustard in GP2.

Ferrari actually have two of the best young drivers currently. Charles Leclerc is cleaning up in GP3 and Lance Stroll is dominating European F3. Neither of them have enough experience yet and Ferrari will run then in F1 at other teams before putting them in anyways (most likely Haas and prob Leclerc). Until then they have decided to stick with a known quantity.

Ferrari actually have two of the best young drivers currently. Charles Leclerc is cleaning up in GP3 and Lance Stroll is dominating European F3. Neither of them have enough experience yet.

& they wonder why Red Bull despite all their faults. Are the ones that are overtaking Ferrari. Because they took a risk on verstappen & its paying off despite lack of experience

Looks like I cursed Marciello who has lost the lead in the GP2 but Leclerc is going to get a run in Haas in the practice sessions so there maybe promise for future young Ferrari drivers. Ferrari could have gone for Perez who has done a great job at Force India and is more than an able No 2at a fraction of Kimi's salary

& they wonder why Red Bull despite all their faults. Are the ones that are overtaking Ferrari. Because they took a risk on verstappen & its paying off despite lack of experience

To be clear this year neither Leclerc nor Stroll had enough "points" to obtain a FIA superlicense. Hence it was not possible for Ferrari to take a risk on them this year.

Next year they probably will have enough points and it is likely that Ferrari will try to run them in a "junior" team (like Red Bull did with Verstappen his first year).

Looks like I cursed Marciello who has lost the lead in the GP2 but Leclerc is going to get a run in Haas in the practice sessions so there maybe promise for future young Ferrari drivers. Ferrari could have gone for Perez who has done a great job at Force India and is more than an able No 2at a fraction of Kimi's salary

Yes Perez might produce fractionally better results and a lower price, but from Ferrari's perspective he would only be an incremental improvement on Kimi (at best). However, would Perez even come at the contractual conditions that Ferrari would want? If I were Perez, I would not necessarily go to Ferrari if it meant they would in all likelihood get rid of me after one season (or maybe less). (Kimi on the other hand probably would agree to such terms, knowing that his days in F1 are coming to an end anyway.)

Good point RasputinLives, I'd forgotten about Bianchi. And having assimilated the various comments in this thread I've had to reassess my view - however frustrating it is for Ferrari to stay in their comfort zone, Kimi is the only option for 2017.

...who's also an EX world champion.....:whistle:

Ferrari have another driver who is also an ex world champion, he seems to spend quite a few of his Sundays driving round the park instead of the circuit.

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl
But when she was bad she was very, very bad.
:whistle:

TR I read the other Perez was considering his long term F1 given he's not going anywhere with Force India and missed out on Ferrari drive

I know the new regulations come in next season but I can only see the gap between Vettel and Raikkonen widening

It would be a shock if Raikkonen finishes ahead of Vettel at the end of this season

None of them! I believe Ferrari are in a holding scenario, waiting to poach Hamilton when he's ready to jump ship from Mercedes. If that is the case, then Kimi is the best option.

I don't think Hamilton's on Ferrari's radar at all actually. I think it's more a question of whether Vettel would be ready to jump ship and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Vettel would have to be on his way out before Ferrari consider snapping Hamilton up.

Ever since the Schumacher days Ferrari have no longer seemed willing to accommodate two top-rated drivers under the same roof. Sadly for Kimi he no longer fits that description and doesn't really rock Seb's boat too much.

Last edited:
I think it dates back to before the Schumacher days if I'm honest. Ask Nigel Mansell if he thought Ferrari were accommodating two top drivers in 1990!

Back
Top Bottom