Karting

ExtremeNinja

Karting amateur
Contributor
I am thinking of buying a Kart. I've been karting four times in the last year and I am completely hooked. I don't drive a car or even have a licence but I've trounced my friends and a few locals each time I've jumped in, setting fastest lap of the day on each occasion and always being on the podium. Okay, I'm not here to boast, but you can imagine why I'm getting excited by the prospect.

So... I have no knowledge whatsoever as to what I should be looking for. My initial thoughts are something second hand that I could potentially use to obtain a racing license. I know nothing about that either. I'm 31, 6ft and about 13st. I want something quicker than the arrive-and-drive cars I've been racing in.

A friend told me that I should do my driving license and by an old Volvo estate to chuck it in the back of for transport, so that's part of the plan, but can any of you advise on buying a kart.

Which chassis and engine size? What age? How much I can expect to pay? Etc. etc.

Your ExtremeNinja needs you. I know I'm not 8 years old any more so there's no career in it for me but it's so much fun!

I can't help you on that but I can pitch in with another question. I am thinking of buying a Kart. I've been karting four times in the last year and I am completely hooked. I don't drive a car or even have a licence but I've trounced my friends and a few locals each time I've jumped in, setting fastest lap of the day on each occasion and always being on the podium. Okay, I'm not here to boast, but you can imagine why I'm getting excited by the prospect.

So... I have no knowledge whatsoever as to what I should be looking for. My initial thoughts are something second hand that I could potentially use to obtain a racing license. I know nothing about that either. I'm 31, 6ft and about 13st. I want something quicker than the arrive-and-drive cars I've been racing in.

A friend told me that I should do my driving license and by an old Volvo estate to chuck it in the back of for transport, so that's part of the plan, but can any of you advise on buying a kart.

Which chassis and engine size? What age? How much I can expect to pay? Etc. etc.

Your ExtremeNinja needs you. I know I'm not 8 years old any more so there's no career in it for me but it's so much fun!
http://www.arks.co.uk/
This is a good place to start.This will answer many of your questions.Secondly, join a local karting club, talk to the other members and they will help you decide what is the best type of kart for you.But be warned.Karting is not repeat not a cheap hobby.
My ten year old son races karts and that costs me €12000 a year without the cost of a new kart.

http://www.arks.co.uk/
This is a good place to start.This will answer many of your questions.Secondly, join a local karting club, talk to the other members and they will help you decide what is the best type of kart for you.But be warned.Karting is not repeat not a cheap hobby.
My ten year old son races karts and that costs me €12000 a year without the cost of a new kart.

Wowsers. Is that mostly tyres and racing fees?

Tyres.Entry fees.4 new engines each season.Transport.Plus other incedental expenses.
Simple example from Buckmore Park.Kart racing is a very organised structure if you intend to race your own kart.
http://www.buckmoreparkkartclub.co.uk/content.php/21020 20. Entry Fees – £45 (Members) and £55 (non-members). A refund less a £5 administration fee will only be given if notification is given in writing and tickets/passes are returned by the day before the meeting. Should any meeting have to be cancelled for whatever reason a £10 administration fee will be held by the Club. A credit for the appropriate fee will be held to
another meeting unless informed otherwise in writing. Late entries will be accepted up until Wednesday before the meeting at £15 surcharge. Any cheque that is returned to the BPKC Ltd. will be surcharged £10. FAX ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED, BUT THE ORIGINAL COPY MUST BE SENT 1ST CLASS THAT DAY. It is preferred that payment is made by debit/credit card. Entries will be held until payment has been received.

Just read the ARKS site back to back. Time and money and commitment seem the main thing to worry about.

Have decided to buy the DVD and manual and go and do the test in a rental Kart. I'll then go and do a couple of arrive and drive endurance events to ge some miliage under my belt without too much travel or investment.

I think I'll soon know if I'm ready to fork out and commit. It will give me a chance to get my road driving license in the meantime, too, so I can get the thing back and forth from races and testing.

I hadn't even concidered the cost of a race suit, helmet and gloves, etc.

What do you think of his approach?

I thnk thats the ideal way for you to go forward.Limited cash investment initially and gives you time to do some other things in meantime.I wish you well in your endevours.

I thnk thats the ideal way for you to go forward.Limited cash investment initially and gives you time to do some other things in meantime.I wish you well in your endevours.

Cheers Sportsman. Once I get cracking I'll get a blog up and running and share my experiences and journey. I'll probably be bugging you again for more advice at some point soon. Really appreciate your pointers and advice.

Karting yesterday and getting quicker and quicker. Pole, fastest 5 laps, ended up 2nd, 6 seconds off the winner after a 20sec penalty for over aggressive overtaking of backmarkers. Lesson of patience learned but am determined to be quicker still tomorrow. I bloomin' love karting. I could do it all day long every day. Wish I had got into this 25 years ago.

I am soooo buzzing right now.

Two races. Qualified second in both, second fastest lap in both, top step of the podium in both.

:1st: :1st:

photo (1).JPG

Definitely sounds like you've caught the bug!! Where/what are you racing?

I've been racing the standard karts here: http://www.theraceway.com/docklands/index.htm. Nothing too grunty, but a fast technical circuit and challenging nonetheless.

I'm sending off all my forms today for Club100 with the hope of jumping on the championship three races in, driving something a little spicier. It's quite a leap and I'm not sure what all the conditions are, but with a bit of luck I'll be competing in my first proper race at
Glan-Y-Gors on 22nd April. A baptism of fire, perhaps.

Fingers crossed.

Yes, it is a massive step up, if you can definitely try and do a couple of test sessions before you jump in to a race. I came in to the BUKC in a similar position to you probably, before uni I'd basically done no Karting. After two years (maybe 8/9 hours ish in a Club 100 kart) I only just began to feel that I had a decent amount of control over the kart. You also have to remember that you'll be driving against guys who have done it since childhood as well... and they're seriously quick.

The big difference between the Club 100 karts and typical arrive and drive karts for me is the brakes. You have to be pretty careful with them, they're easy to lock and if you steer at all with the brake still on you'll very quickly find yourself backwards! Also, you need a lot more strength to drive a Club 100 kart than what you're probably used to. That's not a problem for most guys, but I'm pretty weak and feeble slim, so by the end of a race I often found I could barely get the kart to turn in any more!!

I hope I haven't put you off, just be aware that it's a very different kettle of fish. Anyway, good luck and have fun, which I'm sure you will! I might try and do a couple of test days over the summer myself, or there's a chance I might be able to do BUKC again next year (I've been on placement abroad this year so couldn't do it :().

Back
Top Bottom