Jolyon Palmer

2014 GP2 champion Jolyon Palmer joins the grid for 2016 for a deserved shot at F1. The son of Dr Jonathan Palmer but probably quicker than he ever was. He has a younger brother named Will Palmer who is BRDC F4 champ and probably quicker than him but that's for a future debate.

Palmer's pedigree is questioned by some due to that fact he spent 4 years in GP2 before winning the title but when you see that he joined the series as a 20 year old, and had only done 2 years of single setters prior, it's easy to see he did his development within the series. Anyone who saw his impressive 2014 championship will have no doubts this boy is a racing driver. He showed he was the master of consistency and very good at being in the right place at the right time tactically. I would say he was a better defensive driver than an attacking driver but is always fun to watch. Something that the media obviously agree with as he won the journalist's driver of the year award 2014.

With Palmer stepping on to the grid it does reignite a simmering little rivalry between himself and Sauber's Felipe Nasr. The two were GP2 teammates in 2013 and whilst Nasr was on average the quicker he scored no wins whilst Palmer was able to notch up some P1s. In 2014 they were no longer team mates but title rivals and whilst the fight was close for a while Palmer got the upper hand and in fact completely phsyced Nasr out mentally to the point where the Brazilian just spent his time ranting on team radio rather than racing. Palmer's post race podium interview where he said Nasr needs to 'stop whinging' whilst Felipe was standing next to him was very fun to watch. No love lost between the two so will be interesting to see what happens when they're on the same piece of road this year.

Palmer is a quick driver with a good head on his shoulders but I'm not really sure he has what it takes to be much more that a top end midfield guy. Think Johnny Herbert rather than Damon Hill. Unfortunately due to the state of his Renault car he will most likely not get a chance to prove us wrong. I expect to see lots of him walking away from parked cars with smoking engines. How he holds up against the much fancied Kevin Magnuersen will be an interesting one though.

Last edited:
Nasr’s ‘non-authorised’ Twitter gaff – F1 Super News

Although Nasr and Palmer do hate each other. Nasr is still bitter at getting thumped by Palmer for the title in GP2 and being shown up when they were team mates a few years earlier.
The only team-mate Palmer beat was Richelmi in 2014, when he won his championship.
It did take him four years to win the championship and albeit the performance difference between the teams in GP2, he was with fairly decent teams in his GP2 years. Furthermore he was beaten by all of his teammates up until his championship win and Kral, Ericsson and Nasr aren't consider to be top notch drivers.
Felipe Nasr 2013, Marcus Ericsson 2012 and Josef Kral 2011.

I said showed him up. When the car was In contention for wins it was Palmer that got them that year. Nasr did not take too kindly to it and start throwing insults at Palmer. Then when they were competing for the title he did it again. He was actually called out for his comments by Palmer on the podium and sulked off.

Last edited:
In fact having checked the stats it's quite obvious. In the 2013 season they were team mates Palmer took 4 wins (including a double feature and sprint) and 1 Pole where as Nasr took zero of either. I remember it created tension which is why Palmer left.

In fact having checked the stats it's quite obvious. In the 2013 season they were team mates Palmer took 4 wins (including a double feature and sprint) and 1 Pole where as Nasr took zero of either. I remember it created tension which is why Palmer left.
I can only count two wins, one in Hungary and one in Singapore, now I'm stuck and I don't know what to do with the other eight digits on my hands.
Nasr was on the podium eight times though and beat him without much trouble.

We're all aware of your view on Palmer dude. I ain't even trying to prove it wrong but Nasr falling out and getting grumpy with Palmer because it was him who got the headline grabbing wins in front of the F1 teams is just something that actually happened. The same as Nasr getting beat by him for the title the year after. I didn't say anything about who was better.

Now as for those digits of yours.....what could I possible suggest you do with them? :thinking:;)

Dear Jolyon,

I've found a song that suits the situation. Don't worry, keep your head up, you'll find a seat somewhere else, maybe as a passenger next to Hülkenberg, who can teach you how to drive.

Last edited:
Now, I've finally finished laughing. According to Ted Kravitz (SkyF1), it was a good effort by Jolyon Palmer. 1.2 Sec. behind his team-mate and it's supposed to be a good effort. WTF :dizzy:

He's blown it, I don't see a future beyond this season for him and, to be frank, he doesn't deserve to see out the season.

Another anonymous weekend for Palmer. He has to be on borrowed time now as he just isn't producing the goods. Starting to feel that he isn't up to F1 standard.

Ohhh, he's creepin' closer and closer to the points, two finishes in P11 in a row. Next round, he just has to hope that even more drivers crash out of the race or suffer reliability issues,... then he may even win.:cheers:

What is Ted Kravitz going to say after todays result? "Great race by Jolyon finished P11 the car held him back, I wonder what he could do in a Mercedes"
Yeah Ted, I wonder too, could he finish 10th in a Mercedes, if 3 others crash out in front of him?

Palmer and Stroll on are two opposite ends, one is continuously improving, whilst the other... let's not talk about it Alonso says it all @23:55
:

Poor lamb, being asked stuff he doesn't like.

TOUGH! That sort of response will only encourage more baiting.

Back
Top Bottom