It's a conspiracy I tell you !!

I agree with you FB and I suppose the conspiracy was arguably against McLaren rather than the 'conspiracy' they got caught for. Still, nothing will change the outcome though I really wish the real story would come out some day, even if it proves me wrong.

I hate to bring this up but in 2007 McLaren kept Lewis out on tyres which a blind man could see where worn out in China
Apparently Bridgestone had been telling/ordering McLaren to pit him for a few laps.

Something about that whole incident still reeks.

Although the incident in Hungary last time out does seem to indicate that McLaren haven't got a ****ing clue when it comes to tyres.

My rule of thumb with a conspiracy theory is "is that the easy way to do it?" In the case of McLaren at the last two races of 08, there were easier ways to make a car fail to finish or not do well. Hamilton was on the point of pitting when he went off. What if he'd made it in? The gear box thing makes more sense.

I'm not saying some sort of funny buisness took place, I'm just not sure what it was.

Last edited:
Michael Schumacher 1994 - Cheating your way to a World Championship?

The year is 1994. All electronic driver aids are banned and refueling is introduced.

Michael Schumacher is in Flavios Benetton. Schumacher dominates the start of the season taking 6 wins out of the first 7 including the tragic San Marino.

The first race of the season the Benetton comes under suspicion, that they have an illegal system in place to allow faster pit stops. Senna looses the race to Schumacher after MS pits much faster for his fuel stop.

The second race, The Pacific GP, Senna was quick to voice his suspicions that the Benetton was illegal having spent most of the race at track side, he was sure the Benetton had traction control, banned for 1994.

the third race San marino saw the deaths of Senna and Ratzenberger. Following the race the first 3 teams Benetton, Ferrari and Mclaren were all asked to hand over their engine management source code, to see if traction control code could be detected. Ferrari responded immediately. Benetton and Mclaren both delayed for so long they missed the FIA deadline and were fined £100,000 each.

It was found that the Benetton had illegal software on-board allowing them to have driver aids such as launch control, traction control, ABS and active suspension, all outlawed for 1994. The FIA investigated the provided source code but was unable to act as it could not 'sufficiently prove' the software had been used, only that it existed. The Benetton ran with this software for the whole year.

British GP. Schumacher passes Hill on the warm up lap. He is given a 5 second penalty which he fails to take and is then black flagged. he however stays out on track and completes the race in 2nd place only to be disqualified and handed a 2 race ban. Benetton were fined £600,000 for ignoring the stewards.

Belgian GP. The 'plank' under MS car is found to be worn to 7.4 mm over the length of the plank. The permitted wear is not less than 9mm. He is disqualified.

In Germany the 9th race of the season saw a fuel fire on Jos Verstappens car. A subsequent investigation found that the Benetton team had been using an illegal fuel rig with no filter fitted. this allowed them to refuel 12.5% faster than all other teams. It would be reasonable to assume they had been using this rig since the very first race.

For the remainder of the season Schumacher only picks up 1 more win, due in part to his 2 race ban, but takes the championship anyway, by a single point over Damon Hill.

GL's Verdict: He cheated. He is only a 6 times world champion.

Last edited:
I believe the famous "Option 13" software was only for traction control. If they were still running active suspension it would have been obvious because the springs and dampers on an active system are different than a conventional system.

The problem with calling one team and one driver a 'cheat' is that it assumes everyone else is innocently playing by the rules. There were a lot of teams doing a lot of dodgy things in 1994.

There were a lot of teams doing dodgy things in 2007 too. I'm interested in peoples views on 2007. As it was Mclaren keeping Lewis out at China are we suggesting that Mclaren were ordered by the FIA to make sure one of their drivers did not win the title?

Perhaps not directly but you can imagine one of Bernie's minions suggesting to Ron that winning the drivers title might not be the best idea. If I recall correctly Max wanted them kicked out of the season entirely.

Hmmm.

I recall comments of surprise by Martin Brundle on the fact that Alonso was so anonymous on the last weekend of the season in 2007. Quiet in the media and quiet on the track. It was certainly not the attitude we've seen from him before or since and was odd considering he was in with a dam good shot at winning the title.

Does this suggest maybe that perhaps he was aware the effort was not worth putting in?

Rasputin, C_A_T,

Very valid points regarding the 1994 season. However, it overlooks the all-important difference (for some): the other teams didn't have the hated German driving for them.

Ah, siffert_fan, but was he hated at that time? I seem to remember it wasn't really until that race in Australia that he achieved true "hated driver" status. :D

I was too busy watching my beloved Lotus passing away (thanks in part to bloody Eddie bloody Irvine!!!)

Please explain further.

Well I don't really sign up to the conspiracy theory myself but I can see the oddness of some of the things that went on.

Alonso was strangely quiet for him in the climax of that season and certainly did not show the fight we are used to seeing from him. Thats usually explained by the fact he'd fallen out with Mclaren and was not a happy chappy.

I'm just speculating that if Mclaren were told not to let one of their drivers win the title could Alonso seemingly anon last race of the year be explained away by him being told by Mclaren he wasn't allowed to win anyway and just sitting quiet and bringing the car home respectably without giving Mclaren reason to try and slow him down.

Ah, siffert_fan, but was he hated at that time? I seem to remember it wasn't really until that race in Australia that he achieved true "hated driver" status. :D

I was too busy watching my beloved Lotus passing away (thanks in part to bloody Eddie bloody Irvine!!!)

Schumacher was already a panto villian by the time he reached Silverstone in 94.

1994 rather made Schumacher status in my mind as an unsavoury character. An opinion only strengthened with championship deciding collisions with JV and DH in subsequent years.

Back
Top Bottom