Isle of Man TT

Ah. Well. Ahem. Yes. Erm something's not quite right. Lewywo4 can you hear that high pitch whistle in the distance, gradually dropping in pitch? That's the sound of my credibility plummeting that is.

Dunlop crushes Hutchy by more than 30 seconds in the Seniors race.

vintly....I was afraid to look at your post on Friday, because I thought that you would give the results of the Senior TT. Over here in the States the senior TT was cancelled on Friday, and scheduled to be rebroadcasted on Saturday for whatever reason. Dunlop dropped the hammer on Hutchinson, which surprised me totally, but still all in all it was a great race for me. Totally enjoyed the weeks racing, and still hard for me to believe how fast those riders haul ass down those roads.

I followed the Senior race on live timing, nearly posted directly after that but waited until after the program was in in the UK - I'll remember next year that you're across the pond Lewywo4!

My bike-nerd friend tells me that the bigger bikes are a completely different animal, as is Dunlop. Much to learn...

Agreed, a great week's racing, it really is unreal watching them go.

It's back again, today the 2017 TT Programme begins. Unlike the rest of the week it is comparatively cautious with the emphasis on safety.

18.20 Solo Newcomers’ Speed Controlled Lap

18.25 Sidecar Newcomers’ Speed Controlled Lap

18.40 to 20.50 Supersport / Lightweight TT / Newcomers (all solo classes) practice

Only the 3 deaths so far this year.

If this was F1 the press, the governing body and the fans would be going batshit crazy by now.

It's got nothing to do with being brave. The course is out dated and deadly.

There is no doubt it's dangerous to the point of deadly - this is reinforced year after year.

Fortunately for the people involved in the motorcycle road-racing, their sport isn't hampered by the same regulations as short-circuit / track motorsports. I say 'fortunately' because the danger is the key reason why it gets the blood flowing for the participants. They don't have to do it, and we don't have to watch it, but if it wasn't there then there would likely be a bunch of people killing themselves on public roads instead, causing danger to others as well as themselves. That's not to say that there are no safety measures at the TT. Certain areas have improved safety, resurfacing etc.

From an F1 perspective, 'deadly' equates to 'out-dated' when referring to a track - not the case for the TT. Hence no doubt there will be questions asked, inquiries and the like, but no batshit crazy reactions.

The course is certainly one of the most - if not THE most - dangerous event on the calendar but unfortunately the sheer number of competitors across all disciplines means the likelihood of seeing fatalities is always going to be higher than at other events.
Taking part is the lifelong dream of so many amateur motorcycle racers - the overwhelming majority of whom hold regular jobs the rest of the year - precisely because it is their one opportunity to mix it in with the handful of top names in road-racing. Which is precisely what makes this race what it is.

The riders know and accept the risks, the race doesn't come under the FIM's authority so as long as it's doing such good business the event will continue...

32 deaths in the last 10 years alone. absolutely stupid.

Everyone in motorsport knows the risks but that's just stupid.

Edit: Just read that to date 260 riders, marshals and spectators have been killed at the Isle of Man TT.

Dying doing something you love, your chosen career that has the backing of your family and peers, is not stupid, it's sad.

Lots of drivers and spectators die in rally too.

Death happens in most sports, especially contact ones. I was going to say but not in tiddly winks but I am sure that someone will have an example of even that.:)

It's their choice; riders and spectators. I don't understand it, but I don't feel comfortable about banning it either.

I wouldn't say ban it but something has to be done to prevent that number of deaths.

I freely admit I am not into the 'free spirit biker dream racer' attitude to the TT so I'll never be a fan of it but that level of death rate is absurd.

They bloody banned the official cheese rolling contest in Gloucester due to a few broken limbs and yet someone wrapping their body around a lamppost at 160mph is ok because he was "doing something he loved man."

I'll have to agree to disagree with TT fans. Sorry guys.

I wouldn't say ban it but something has to be done to prevent that number of deaths.

The question is: What can be done to reduce the deaths?

Given that they're public roads most of the time, run-off areas aren't really feasible, you could legislate the machine capacity, as the lightweight TT (650cc twins) was brilliant racing, but would that kill it off for the big manufacturers (the main races are supersport 600cc and suberbike/superstock1000cc), but then maybe putting off the big manufacturers is a good thing - but would that mean that the ameteur riders would be more 'ameteur' leading to a rise in the number of accidents/deaths?

Also factor in that it is a massive driver of the economy the island, it's a difficult one.

I'm personally for leaving it alone, watching it close up is amazing, and no one makes them do it. It's an addiction for the riders, pure and simple, I get that, I've raced mountainbikes, and the feeling when you go so quick downhill that everything becomes slow motion on those is like a drug, on a TT bike it must be that rush x1000. I know I couldn't do it, winding on my motorbike on country lanes is exhilirating/terrifying in equal measure!

People die on Everest all the time, sometimes dozens in one climbing season, but people keep paying tons of money to do it and nobody is calling for a ban on climbing. I suspect fewer people have won the TT than have climbed Everest.

Back
Top Bottom