Is pitting first the new way to get track position?

Can we take from this Button's "smooth" style doesn't make any difference at all with the new Pirelli rubber? Surely if he could run longer and faster on the same boots as Hamilton McLaren would make that call?

This is veering away from the thread topic now, but this is just another example of poor strategy/race craft from McLaren.

All too often they miss the blindingly obvious.

Can we take from this Button's "smooth" style doesn't make any difference at all with the new Pirelli rubber? Surely if he could run longer and faster on the same boots as Hamilton McLaren would make that call?

I think we need to get snowy in on this one, how did Button compare to Hamilton on the primes?

We need a race strategy thread to discuss this subject.

Not that well, but unfortunately we can't really make direct comparisons because Lewis used his new set of prime tyres for his third stint and Button his fourth. Lewis was unable to get his second set of primes (used) to work because he was being pressured by Mark Webber and they basically never switched on. Jenson's primes switched on and his team did everything in their power to scupper his race fearing that he was going to wear them out, which in 18 laps he never managed to do.

Considering there was supposed to be a 1 second a lap difference between the two compounds Lewis and Jenson's lap times during the third stint were interesting:
http://cliptheapex.com/threads/is-pitting-first-the-new-way-to-get-track-position.2410/#post-41943

Also, the fact that Jenson was right behind Lewis could also have contributed to some of the difference, Lewis should possibly have let Jenson go, then we might have seen the true difference in pace.

It took Jenson 7 laps to close a 2.2 second gap, it should have taken just 2.

In fact reading the lap chart it was only the fact that they caught traffic that allowed Jenson to catch up when he did. Unless of course he had been told to hold station, which somehow I doubt.

Also, the fact that Jenson was right behind Lewis could also have contributed to some of the difference, Lewis should possibly have let Jenson go, then we might have seen the true difference in pace.

The Macca pit crew took care of that one!

After they botched Lewis' pitstop, was there any doubt that by bringing Jenson in the next lap he would jump him.

Also, Jenson drove a great race but I don't think there was any chance that he could have caught Vettel. Seb cruised for the final laps and killed a bunch of time before finally crossing the Finish Line.

Oh yeah, I forgot to reply to the original question. To pit, or not to pit?

Part of the reason these opening races are so great and hectic is that the teams still don't know exactly what to expect from the Pirelli's. With the Bridgestones they could pretty much just plan an optimum strategy back at the factory and not worry about degradation whatsoever.

We'll see what happens once they figure these tires out. I'm not sure that's going to happen very soon though, as they seem to vary drastically in performance from circuit to circuit and at different temperatures.

Yes. This circuit to circuit difference could keep us guessing all season. Bravo Pirelli. It can't really be said enough.

I still can't help thinking that Pirelli have got it slightly wrong, and the FIA have also been blind to their error.

Instead of making all the tyre compounds wear more and lose performance relative to the previous supplier's tyres, I thought they would introduce a bigger step between the Prime and Option compounds, but still keep the Primes relatively durable. That way the teams would have had a real choice: either to go for the longer lasting Prime tyres with fewer stops or the quicker but less durable Options with more stops. That way we might have seen some real alternative strategies playing out, rather than each driver basically having to make a number of tyre stops because even the Primes will only last about a third distance at best (unless you're Perez of course). Did anyone make fewer than three stops at Sepang?

In terms of whether pitting first gets track position or not, it didn't help Hamilton at Sepang although it might have been different if he'd had another set of options left. But it might have helped at Melbourne, where pitting later than Vettel definitely seemed to hurt his chances.

I agree Chad, I think the soft tyre is probably ok, but the harder tyre may not be hard enough.

Some of the problem may be anxiety on the part of the teams, though. There is less degradation in the races than in practice sessions; Kovalainen only made 2 stops and did the final 22 laps on the harder tyre. Kobayashi likewise made two stops and his final stint was 20. And yet McLaren were telling Jenson to take it very easy to the end on tyres that were 2 laps younger than Kobayashi's were.

To me the biggest concern isn't the effect of varying degrees of tyre degradation we have seen on diffent cars as races progress, because it's all part of frivers and teams' challenge to produce thhe greatest possible pace with the minimum tyre degradation rates.

To me the biggest concern is botched pit-stops, stuck wheels here and there... By thesimple laws of probability we are likely to see a hell of a lot more of those.

I just hope the final outcome in tehis year's championship isn't determined by botched pit-stops in the last few races, which unfortunately is looking like a real possibility...

I agree Chad, I think the soft tyre is probably ok, but the harder tyre may not be hard enough.

Some of the problem may be anxiety on the part of the teams, though. There is less degradation in the races than in practice sessions; Kovalainen only made 2 stops and did the final 22 laps on the harder tyre. Kobayashi likewise made two stops and his final stint was 20. And yet McLaren were telling Jenson to take it very easy to the end on tyres that were 2 laps younger than Kobayashi's were.

Did Sutil not do 21 laps on options?

Back
Top Bottom