In-season testing to return

So in season testing may be allowed in a limited amount.And just who will benefit most from that.The back markers who have very limited budgets and will find it a financial strain.
Or the front running wealthier teams who will definitely make the most of it.

A quick trawl of google suggests that way back in 2003, the combined average cost per lap of testing was in the thousands.

Anyone have any idea how much a days testing costs?
I have a great little book by Alan Henry entitled 'The Grand Prix Companion' (published in2007 by Icon Books Ltd). In it there is a chapter on F1 costs. I hope I am not infringing copyright if I mention a few numbers from it.

I don't know about daily testing costs, but here are some overall figures:
Henry quotes the example of Toyota, whose four drivers covered 8,500 testing laps (39,00km) between them during 2005, in 20 sessions over six European countries. The cost in fuel, tyres, brake pads and other consumables amounted to $1,250 per lap, excluding air fares for engineers or transport costs for the cars and equipment around the circuits.

Here are a few more examples of costs that Henry calculated for overall 2005 F1 expenditure for F1 Racing magazine (with the highest spending individual team in each category in brackets):
Wind tunnel testing: $107.2m (Mclaren $16m)
Operating cars at tests: $493.1m (Toyota $77.5m)
Operating cars at races: $243.24m (Ferrari $37.3m)
Travel and Accommodation $93.9m (Ferrari $19.5m)

I'd highly recommend the book by the way, there are lots of interesting insights into F1 within it, and copies are still apparently available from WH Smith and one or two other online sources for about £7. I'd post a link, but I wouldn't want to be brought to book for advertising.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91347 Formula 1 teams are set to reject an offer from FIA president Jean Todt to bring back limited in-season testing from next year.
Todt revealed at last weekend's Turkish Grand Prix that he wants to bring an end to F1's in-season testing ban - and plans to discuss the matter with teams ahead of the European Grand Prix.
However, although Todt believes it makes sense for a return of some testing, teams are not convinced it will be a good move - as they fear it will simply lead to an escalation in costs.
When asked by AUTOSPORT for his feelings about the idea, Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner said: "I think that the balance that we have is right. Maybe we could do a bit more running on a Friday, or have a few more sets of tyres, which would encourage teams to run with more young drivers.
"The problem with testing is that as soon as you reintroduce it, you reintroduce test teams and the cost will escalate.
"One of the biggest cost savings we have seen is the reduction in testing, so I think the balance we have with the pre-season and the young driver test at the end of the year is right - and fiscally beneficial not just to the big teams but to the small teams as well."

I just read that.

While I can understand the teams' position, something needs to change to allow 'backmarker' teams to catch up and also give up and coming drivers a taster.

My point exactly. As we have 24 cars on the circuit, it would be rather nice if all 24 were capable of racing each other - and THAT is down to the cars...

I just read that.

While I can understand the teams' position, something needs to change to allow 'backmarker' teams to catch up and also give up and coming drivers a taster.

How about FOM creating a fund for backmarkers being able to apply for grants for testing.
This would be paid for by making registration for live timing instead of being free subject to a €5 per year.

One thought I've had about testing and it's restrictions in regards to the rookie drivers etc, why not have so many hours of testing allowed for drivers under a certain amount of hours experince in an F1 car?

I wasn't realy blaming anyone, but if that's true (I trust you on that) it makes little sense to me that the teams in a way are restricting themmsevles on what they could do.

My thoughts were more about how it could help driver safety, so it doesn't make much sense to me as I said. But that's the way it is

Why does everything have to be SO complicated? All you have to do is allow EVERY TEAM THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY to develop their cars. Level out this ridiculous (as I've said before) "Himalayan" playing field! It would be fascinating to see how each individual team approaches the same problems with the same amount of cash, would it not?

It 'ain't rocket science - yet year after year we lurch from one experiment to another...

:disappointed:

Back
Top Bottom