Icon of the Seas

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
This thing is incredible but I'd never get on it.

Imagine how claustrophobic it would be in one of the lower level inner cabins.
Not to mention trying to escape in the case of an emergency.

I wonder how long it will be before the first norovirus outbreak.

It's five times larger and heavier than the Titanic, has 2,560 crew, and carries up to 5,610 passengers.

1689017725878.png

1689017718716.png

An impressive piece of engineering but it's way too big.

Cruise ships were supposed to allow people to travel in comfort from port visit to port visit but now, the size of them make visita totally impractical.

I have a feeling this thing will end up as a white elephant.

It is estimated to have cost in excess of £1.5 billion.

The daily cost of running it must be at least a million.

Cruise ships were supposed to allow people to travel in comfort from port visit to port visit but now, the size of them make visita totally impractical.
Most of the time they only stop at ports for a few hours, which is barely enough time to clear customs.

Some places are starting to ban cruise ships as the passengers all disembark at the same time, overwhelm the place they are visiting, don't spend any money on food, drinks, etc. because they have already paid for it on the ship as part of a package, then just disappear without contributing to the economy.

Yeah, it's a complete change of purpose for these ships.

The same applies to the cruise companies as well. They don't want their passengers to go ashore and spend money off the ship. They need the extra cash.

I'd like to cross the pond on the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York. That would be great and following in the wake of the great ocean liners. As for cruising though, sod that.

I think the idea is to encourage gambling in a non regulated environment, 5000+ passengers is a pretty lucrative captive customer base

Drinking and eating on board with everyone breathing and coughing over the open buffet is gamble enough.

Not to mention the amount of urine and faeces in the pools.

Yum 😋

This thing is incredible but I'd never get on it.

Imagine how claustrophobic it would be in one of the lower level inner cabins.
Not to mention trying to escape in the case of an emergency.

I wonder how long it will be before the first norovirus outbreak.

It's five times larger and heavier than the Titanic, has 2,560 crew, and carries up to 5,610 passengers.

View attachment 16532

View attachment 16531
It's for those who want to feel like being on a yacht, but don't have the money for a yacht. The yacht for the poor :)
As some new adventure in life it is interesting. But you rightly said that the lower decks will be quite scary.

Being on a floating hotel is nothing like a yacht or even a super yacht, you can buy a yacht for less than £20K but there's no buffet bar or stewards, more self catering, but cheaper over the years. These super liners are very subject to falling over in the wrong sea conditions or even minimal flooding

I can guarantee, that however large the cruise ship, there will be an annoying couple that befriend you, and you will bump in to them at every opportunity, day in, day out for the entire cruise!

Back
Top Bottom