How many stops in Monaco

How many stops will the Monaco winner make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jez101

Bookies drive nice cars because of people like me
Contributor
With all the guessing about tyres in Monaco this weekend, how many stops do you think the winner will make? With the supersofts in use, there might be more but with overtaking so difficult, there might be less. What does the threat of a safety car do to your calculations...?

I am going with 4, seems the safe number knowing there will be onld softs in the basket. 3 Stoppers haven't worked out that well. Sure Monaco is a type of circuit with lower race pace I don't think it is less tough on tyres though.

From F1fanatic - the long runs that Vettel and Button did were on the supersofts, and were of 23 and 18 laps respectively, with little drop-off in lap time.

Fears of tyres only lasting 10 laps seem a little premature.

Two! Race position is vital, there is no overtaking. If you lead with no pitstops left, you'd have to fall off the cliff, into the sea, through the sea bed and into the magma layer to be overtaken at Monaco!

Strange nobody has spit the cake with 3 stops, if they can do 18+ laps on supersofts then sure 3 will be a safer number, though two is a stretch knowing that the Hard hasnt' worked wonders yet.

Two for me, the circuit is so short, the chances of a safety car so high and overtaking opportunities so low that any more would surely result in getting stuck in traffic and not being able to use the extra grip available. Let's also remember that unlike every other circuit on the calendar, it's fairly easy to defend, even when you haven't got the outright pace. (Think back to Mansell attached to Senna's gearbox in a faster car)

Forgot to mention that it's also very early days in the tracks life cycle and it's very green at the moment. As we get more activity over the weekend then the extra rubber will benefit both compounds on offer.

I'm taking a gamble on 3, on the premise that a few teams will gamble on 2, fail and have to bring their driver in for a late one.

Two for me, the circuit is so short, the chances of a safety car so high and overtaking opportunities so low that any more would surely result in getting stuck in traffic and not being able to use the extra grip available. Let's also remember that unlike every other circuit on the calendar, it's fairly easy to defend, even when you haven't got the outright pace. (Think back to Mansell attached to Senna's gearbox in a faster car)

That could be very true, though I probably should have gone 3:unsure:. Would teams not think that softs on 2 stops and 1 for Hard compound gives play, I haven't seen anyone really command the Hards unless they are well ahead and away from traffic, under pressure they seem to be a bit unnerving to go onto for extended periods.

knowing that the Hard hasnt' worked wonders yet

-----

There is not 'Hard' tyre at this race; the Soft tyre is the harder Prime tyre, while the Supersoft is the softer Option.

As far as I can remember, the Soft they're using at this race has been the preferred tyre for qualifying and the race all season.

Based on the runs today, looks like teams will have the choice to make less stops rather than what was being predicted before the weekend started. 2 probably safest, some trying 1 stopper if they preserve it. 3 seems risky, unless tyres fall away.

Four will be the safe bet this weekend really, Button might try 3 stops depending on degradation

knowing that the Hard hasnt' worked wonders yet

-----

There is not 'Hard' tyre at this race; the Soft tyre is the harder Prime tyre, while the Supersoft is the softer Option.

As far as I can remember, the Soft they're using at this race has been the preferred tyre for qualifying and the race all season.

Based on the runs today, looks like teams will have the choice to make less stops rather than what was being predicted before the weekend started. 2 probably safest, some trying 1 stopper if they preserve it. 3 seems risky, unless tyres fall away.

Thanks, red faced moment. Yeah then 2 will be gunned for by the top sides, but Button will likely gamble on 3, his number of choice.

I think it also depends on the running order after the first 10 laps or so. If we've got a fast package caught behind someone who's taken too much out of their tyres, or qualified beyond normal potential, then sensible race craft and a more progressive throttle application could easily see a big jump when those going for it are forced to pit.

In the highly likely event of a safety car then the higher placed team mate will also get 1st choice to pit, so I would almost guarantee that people will be forced to re-think on the spot if they don't want to line up and drop position.

One think is for sure, the masterminds on the pit walls and command centres will have their work cut out for them.
:thinking:

1!

its Monoco - Someone like Schumi or Alonso who have a 'none shall pass' driving style could be driving round on their wheel rims and still have a chance of keeping everyone behind them

Back
Top Bottom