How many stops at Silverstone?

How many stops will the winner at Silverstone make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm guessing 2 stops, but since I'm rarely right anyway, that's by the by!
I haven't got one right yet either, despite having a spreadsheet to model it all! :dunno:

In order to rectify that, I have updated said spreadsheet with a polynomial curve based on the tyre degredation figures the last time this combination of soft and hard was used.

This scientific method says tells me that the best way to do this race is 3 stops, spending as little time as possible on the prime tyres. Anyone pitting too early may well find themselves having to run way too far on hard tyres which look at least 1.5 secs a lap slower initially. Even options that have done 15 laps are likely to be as fast as brand new primes, although by then the options are going off rapidly.

My guess is then, 3 stops would be as follows
1) if I used all three options in qually: laps 13, 26, between 39 and 42
2) if I have a spare set of new options: laps 13, 26 and 45

Science will also tell me if it is going to rain - although my spreadsheet will not like getting wet so it may not be any use ;).

I will be using raintoday.co.uk to see what is coming!

I can see this race being like Donington Park 1993 - wet/dry/wet/dry/wet/dry/wet ... in other words, all the drivers getting confused about which tyres to be on. Ah, the great British weather!

Gone for 4 stops after looking at the forecast tonight. Looks like it could be mixed conditions, but can't wait for this weekends race none the less :).
Hoping it'll be crazy like the Canadian GP just without the 5 hour long race :).

I was away on holiday (I left the day before Pirelli was to nominate the tyres for Silverstone) and only got back yesterday...

...So they didn't nominate the new Medium then, eh?

Hmmm. Ferrari must be dissappointed.

I can see this race being like Donington Park 1993 - wet/dry/wet/dry/wet/dry/wet ... in other words, all the drivers getting confused about which tyres to be on. Ah, the great British weather!

Anyone else think they would of been fine if they just picked inters?

I'd go for two if it's dry. Pirelli are bringing the hardest compound available to Silverstone and the pit-;ane is very long there.

Did anyone get what the new pitalne time is going to be in the race? They were doing 60km/h through there in FP, but its 100km/h for the race. It cuts out a huge chunk of the circuit...

I still think if its dry though, it will come down to who can spend the longest on the options.

The hards were 2s/lap slower than the softs in Barcelona - there is no undercut onto primes until the car you are trying to overtake has done 15 or so laps on their option. If you are undercutting onto options, you might be tempted to try that even after the tyre's 10th lap...

If it is wet though, I don't know if any of them will have any tyres left - I find it really odd that they only have 3 wet and 4 inters for the whole weekend, which is probably 2 wet and 3 inters already after FP1.

So, in spite of rain, we saw a fairly standard 3 stop race... :dunno:

That means that 13 people guessed correctly (including me for the first time :)). There were 54 stops in total, Mryzyz's guess being the closest (81 - the only guess, but as they say, you have to be in it to win it!)

This week, the prize is a bag of hot air - to remind us of the diffuser debate...

Back
Top Bottom