How Good is Fernando Alonso?

Josh
Yes given no one gave him a chance at Ferrari saying the car was an absolute dog and somehow he is still in the championship
Last season he also proved in an inferior car he was still able to keep with Mclarens and Red Bulls

Renault suffered when Alonso left for 1 season.

The guy has won for 3 teams and Hamilton still considers him one of the toughest opponents he's ever faced

Alonso is relentlessly consistent just like Senna was

Alonso wins races when he should and races when he should not as he has proven this season

Josh

Thats the only blackmark you can say about him in the same breadth as Schumacher that is why I rate Senna higher

That is why Alonso is lower on the BBC list because of his Mclaren season

Alonso wins races when he should and races when he should not as he has proven this season

Has he really though?

Malaysia - the Ferrari was obviously the best car for race day under those conditions

Valencia - a very much gifted win

Germany - the car was good that weekend, I'd say that was a race he should have won

Has he really though?

Malaysia - the Ferrari was obviously the best car for race day under those conditions

Valencia - a very much gifted win

Germany - the car was good that weekend, I'd say that was a race he should have won

That is what I meant when he wins races he should not have

His car in Malaysia was actually horrible after the switch to dries and he held off Perez's charge

In Valencia he kept up the pressure and he nailed Grosjean on the restart and then outsmarted Hamilton to claim the race victory

Do I need to back to Japan 2008 then I don;t consider singapore 2008 as one of his great wins as that was dubious as we know

How about 2010 when he won in Singapore because he got track position by qualifying on pole and Vettel was the one who made the mistake in quali which settled it

if you want to go back to 2005
Nurburgring Kimi fluffed it but Alonso did put on a charge when victory was on

How many drivers would still be in a shout of the drivers title driving the dog that is the Ferrari ?

I should add I've been accused of being anti Alonso and Hamilton fanboy by some of the plebs on 606 before. I don;t like some of Alonso's antics politically off track but you have to respect his abilities behing the wheel of an F1 car

Oh, I thought you were talking about this season seeing how this post:

implies he has only proven this season how he can win races when he should not.

Also I kind of think it was Perez who held off Perez's charge moreso than Alonso... But okay.

Anyway, I never really meant to start a discussion about Alonso but FB decided it deserved its own thread so if you don't mind I'm out.

Alonso is so good that in 2001, when at Minardi, his teammate, the great Tarso Marquez, had the team's two best finishes:embarrassed:.

And that certainly disproves the old adage that a driver is best judged by comparing how he does against his teammate!

His car in Malaysia was actually horrible after the switch to dries and he held off Perez's charge
There were 3 laps in which Perez was closer than 2 seconds.
Not like Vettel has never done that, now is it?

In Valencia... outsmarted Hamilton to claim the race victory
Hamilton had a bad pit stop.
Nothing outsmarted there.

If we judge Vettel by the same standard, there's plenty of examples to mention for him as well. But of course, your argument falls kind of flat if you can't apply your precious double standard.

"... it was his sheer speed that was staggering. In both qualifying and races, he often took his car into positions which it had no right to be in ..."

Are they talking about Alonso's in 2012? Actually it's a summary of yhe 2001 season. This particular one ranked him 4th best.

Back to the question, how good is him? I've seen better drivers ... But not very many ...

That is the whole reason this thread, and this subject for that matter, is so volatile: because it is mostly argued based on double standards. It would be fantastic to discuss the subject based on equal standards, it becomes volatile when one driver is held to a different standard than another.

I am not disputing Fernando Alonso is an all-time great, I very much agree.
I do dispute, for instance, that Sebastian Vettel has never shown the defensive skills that were necessary to win in Malaysia.

Everyone agrees Alonso is an all-time great so this thread has no reason to exist. I originally wanted to make a point to Il_leone about Vettel using Alonso but that has failed (because this is now a thread about Alonso and not about Vettel).

So... Let's just put this discussion to an end?

Back
Top Bottom