Heikki Kovalainen

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
Josh it depends what he wants if he wants to win races and possibly a championship then he should go to another series but if all he wants is to be in F1 and troll around at the back of the grid then he should try and find a drive for next year.

My feeling is that a race drivers most important urge should be winning otherwise whats the point, those that hang around just for the glam or prestige of F1 are not true race drivers a low level team should be a starting point for a driver not somewhere for him to end his career in.....

Mephistopheles

Banned
Contributor
I just don't think he has the ability to be a top driver in F1 but I do feel he could do very well in a different series, and also by taking a seat in a lower team deprives a younger driver of the chance to make his mark in F1, like I said in an earlier post, he has had his chance and he blew it.

There are so few seats available and those that have tried and failed should make room for someone else to have a go...

Il_leone

Champion Elect
siffert_fan

In reference to Heidfeld ..he's had plenty of chances because he's been backed by Mercedes to get into F1 ...only for Ron to discard him as not good enough

If he was he would have replaced DC and not be jumped by Montoya in the queue

His career was saved at Jordan because Giorgio Pantano was asked to bring in sponsorhip to keep Heidfeld going for the season... it was actually hard on Pantano and his family who were bringing £1m a race and remortgaging to do it

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Monza 2008 he only lead 4 laps because Vettel pitted and never really challenged for the victory

The problem was for 2/3 of the weekend he looks like he was on Hamilton's pace but then at the crunch moment he fails to step up when the team needs him to

Judging by Gascoyne' comment it appears that the relationship with the team has broken down

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
Il_leone

I am not contending that Heidfeld or, indeed, HK is a likely race winner. I am merely stating that, IMHO, both are more likely to score points than the pay drivers. Of course, I don't think the bottom-feeding teams are likely to be able to entice a potential race-winning talent to join them, and therefore think that at least one proven mid-level driver would be a better option than being dependent upon the likes of a Bruno S just because he brings up-front money.

racecub

Champion Elect
I was reading an article about Heikki recently. Well it was about Sergio, and how he has to approach Mclaren differently to the way Heikki did. The articl led to an old podcast with Heiki talking about Mclaren. You may have heard it,it's quite old, but here's the links anyway.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/01/why-sergio-perez-must-avoid-a-repeat-of-heikki-kovalainens-mclaren-experience/

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/04/ja-on-f1-podcast-3-how-to-get-the-most-out-of-a-formula-1-driver/

Fenderman

Rooters Reporter
Phew! Back to the new years resolution then. Selectivity it is and shall remain! :D

Edit: I shall maintain my own status as CTA Like-meister based solely on members own merits :D

Fenderman

Rooters Reporter
Heh, heh. Thanks teabagyokel . Always nice to have a decision backed up :D

On Pic, I'm a sceptic. I think I mentioned on some other thread that I think his record in other formulas isn't anything to write home about. It is somewhat better than a couple of the other new chaps but he's below the threshold that I would set if I were a team manager. Maybe my standards are too high:thinking:

Il_leone

Champion Elect
Pic supposedly has some potential although its difficult to tell

Heikki though really has not got a lot left...he's not managed by Flavio anymore is he ...who was very good at getting drives ( as well as pocketing himself 25%)

Really if Williams did not the money he would be an ideal driver for them

Caterham aint going any further forward with another year of Heikki you'd think ...they are not some manufacturer team who might with the resources they would have

Top Bottom