Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Old Hockenheim

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mjo

Procrastinating
Contributor
This is the moment that you've all been waiting for - the Greatest ever F1 circuit poll! With 7 finalists (originally 8 but a seven - way tie between Adelaide, Melbourne, Kyalami, Osterreichring, Rouen, Montjuic and Zandvoot put paid to that).

The finalists are:

Old Nurburgring - 17km and 170+ corners off tortuous, twisting tarmac remains one of the true great driving challenges. However, safety concerns (highlighted by Lauda's crash in '76) ended the Green Hell's place on the calendar. Some will say that it was also too long to be a viable f1 venue, with fans only seeing f1 cars for approximately 15 times during a course of a race. But is it your ultimate f1 circuit?

Spa-Francorchamps - 7km, with famous corners such as Eau Rouge, Pouhon and Blanchimont, it is egarded as one of the great circuits. But have some of the corners, such as Eau Rouge, become too simple in an F1 car? The notoriously unpredictable weather will sort that out. But is Spa your number 1?

Brands Hatch - Set in rural Kent, with famous corner names such as Dingle Dell, and Paddock Hill Bend, it is an adventure through the forest. However, some may argue that there are circuits which are just better. With serious undulations and fast, flowing bends, does it deserve the top spot?

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve (Montreal) - On paper, this looks nothing special, but throw in walls surrounding the track, a notorious tyre-degrading surface and a groundhog or two and the Candaian Grand Prix never fails to produce excitement. A reasonably fast ride threading around the walls is punctuated by several overtaking opportunities - so much so that I can't remember the last boring Canadian Grand Prix. However, it may lack a real challenge. But is Montreal you best ever circuit?

Interlagos - Fast, traditional and with a first corner to die for, Interlagos is our 5th nominee. Scene of many memorable f1 moments, it knows how to put on a great f1 race, whether it be in 2003, 2009 or the nail-biter that was 2008. With corners such as Juncao, Bico de Pato and Mergulho, this is an all-time classic F1 circuit. However, there may be a problem with the safety of the track, due to the deaths of Brazilian stock car drivers at the circuit earlier this year. But does it get your vote?

Suzuka - Set by the sea in the land of the rising sun, the famous Suzuka track, designed by John Hugenholtz, is set on undulating land and is one of the few figure-of-8 circuits in the world. It is almost unanimously agreed that this provides a real test of the driver, with corners such as Degner, Spoon, the Esses and 130R (which has sadly been toned down). Suzuka is known to produce processional races, with on notable exception that is 2005, and maybe 2003. But does Suzuka deserve the title?

Old Hockenheim - Our final nominee is the blast through the forests, providing a serious test of the engines. With long straights and a tight final sections, set-up was a real challenge. The track was also known for having real character and being almost totally unique. However, there have been many processional races here, with not much overtaking. But will Old Hockenheim take the crown?

It is a one-vote poll, so choose wisely, and voting closes next Friday night.

Don't forget to vote in the Worst ever f1 circuits, which is coming tomorrow.

What about the 'Old' Spa Francorchamps with it's frightening Masta Kink and ultra-fast Masta Straight?

The latest Motor Sport Magazine - with the Nordschleife on the cover - has drivers describing the old Spa as even more nerve-wracking than the old Nurburgring!

I'd vote for the 'old' Spa-Francorchamps. :)

And, o, I've driven the Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal (in a sports coupe, not just in a video game ;) ). There's not much to it and it doesn't hold a candle to Mosport down the road from here (which i've also driven). They held the Canadian GP at Mosport in the 1960s and 1970s.

Poor Manfred Winklehock - Markus (led Nurburgring GP briefly in 2007) Winklehock's uncle - was killed there just weeks before Stefan Bellof perished at Spa in 1985, both in Sports Car races.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve isn't even the greatest circuit in Canada let alone the world. Heck, with Mont Tremblant around, it's not even the greatest circuit in the province of Quebec!

:)

I'd put the old Zandvoort, the old Osterreichring, the old Kyalami and the old Monza with it's Indy loop before i'd put up the current Montreal F1 track. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

What about the 'Old' Spa Francorchamps with it's frightening Masta Kink and ultra-fast Masta Straight?

The latest Motor Sport Magazine - with the Nordschleife on the cover - has drivers describing the old Spa as even more nerve-wracking than the old Nurburgring!

I'd vote for the 'old' Spa-Francorchamps. :)

And, o, I've driven the Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal (in a sports coupe, not just in a video game ;) ). There's not much to it and it doesn't hold a candle to Mosport down the road from here (which i've also driven). They held the Canadian GP at Mosport in the 1960s and 1970s.

Poor Manfred Winklehock - Markus (led Nurburgring GP briefly in 2007) Winklehock's uncle - was killed there just weeks before Stefan Bellof perished at Spa in 1985, both in Sports Car races.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve isn't even the greatest circuit in Canada let alone the world. Heck, with Mont Tremblant around, it's not even the greatest circuit in the province of Quebec!

:)

I'd put the old Zandvoort, the old Osterreichring, the old Kyalami and the old Monza with it's Indy loop before i'd put up the current Montreal F1 track. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Well you can only vote for the tracks mjo posted so make a choice....

I can't help it, I'm going to be partisan today and I know the arguements aren't really sound but I'm going for Brands Hatch.
I remember building my Scalextric track like Brands when I was 10.
I remeber some great races there, probably through rose tinted glasses.
I love the way the track rises and falls with some great corners.
I love the fact its not too long so you will always see plenty of racing.
... and I love the fact it is here.

This is just a list of my favourite 7 F1 tracks in history! Exactly these 7!

If I had to pick one, it would be the Nordschleife (Old Nurburgring) and Brands Hatch, as they are the two circuits I've had the pleasure of driving around personally. Nurburgring takes the prize though as it is just wonderful, and REALLY scary when driven at speed!

Spa. I simply cannot vote a track such as Old Hockenheim where I havn't watched a GP. The fact that there is no new tracks is quite telling, the closest to making it onto there would probably be Istanbul Park which makes it even worse that it's off the calendar now...

A good selection. I've voted for the Old Nurburgring, not because I saw a Grand Prix there live (few have) but based on the testimony of 90%+ of the guys who drove the old circuit, and on the races I've seen on the old track since.

(the other 10% - the unhinged 10% - generally go for pre-1983 Spa, when Eau Rouge and Blanchimont were easy by comparison with Burnenville and Masta).

My favourite of the current tracks is Suzuka.

Well you can only vote for the tracks mjo posted so make a choice....
Yep, if anyone wanted any other tracks then they could have 'nominated' other circuits on the nominations page. The circuits above are the top 7 nominated by members of CTA.

Went for Spa, as much as i love Suzuka and Interlagos. There's just something about Spa that gives me the shivers down my spine when i hear that name. Plus its a proper old fashioned circuit none of these ultramodern grandstands and pitlane complex's. Plus the uncertain weather conditions make it a cracker. :).

You've got to love Suzuka. Just an awesome layout and still extremely penalizing.

I suspect I might have went with Spa if this vote was taken a couple months ago though. LOL

Back
Top Bottom