Formula 2 GP2 2014

Yeah I'm with you on that Slyboogy. Rossi seems to promise a lot and not deliever.

Palmer is doing a good job isn't he? Nasr looks on form and Leal is very quietly picking up results.

Since his win Vandorne has had a bit if bad luck and has been in the middle of the pack so we've not seen if he can run with the front guys yet. I suspect from his pace and awesome double overtake in race 2 in Monaco he can but he needs to sort it out and get it up there soon though. Monaco next and for once it is a circuit he's raced on before so maybe he'll do it there.

Palmer is going to be tough to beat for anyone though on current form. I pretty sure Daddy Palmer is already sounding out the F1 teams for a drive for him in 2015.

So we had a clean start in the GP2 at Monaco, An exciting overtake for the lead a few laps in..........and then it was amateur hour at the harpin resulting in a blocked road with the entire field coming to a halt and a red flag.

Only in GP2.

(And we get to see an attempted jump start of a car on board and the horrible noise of the engine trying to refire after boiling over)

Last edited:
The GP2 boys looking like amateurs today, Coletti seeing gaps that weren't there.
Is Rene Binder trying to be the next Maldonado? What an arse.

Mad race.
Nice win for Palmer.

Coletti did pull off two great moves in a similar place but then got completely carried away.

Binder was indeed a nightmare but then he was last year too but somehow he still gets a drive whilst people like Dillman can't land one!

Palmer was perfect today even down to not correcting the podium interviewer when he called him Jonathan. Do you reckon we'll see him in F1 next year?

You don't seem to see the same level of red mist in WSBR, do you? Just goes to show that GP2 is not really a meritocracy, populated as it is by various well-sponsored talent-vacuums. One has to wonder how these prats manage to garner such sponsorship in the first place, and furthermore, what marketing lummox is signing their cheques.

...mind you, you have to wonder who at PDVSA thought sponsoring Maldonado was a good idea - do none of them actually watch the racing? Given the sums of money being shelled out to keep these cars on the grid, you would have thought somebody would be watching how their marketing investment was being spent, and perhaps tapping a team owner on the shoulder and saying, "Hang on, this driver we're paying for is crashing quite a bit, isn't he? Isn't there someone out there who can drive without crashing into everyone else, the barriers, or the decorative pot-plants? Otherwise we'll take our squillions of petro-dollars and use them to sponsor something nice and enviromental, like lawn bowls, or somesuch...":dunno:

A dreadful race at a dreadful circuit.

I am struggling to work out the criteria for deploying the safety car - there doesn't seem to be any consistency (nothing new there then).

So I just watched the sprint race and there was a 16 car train for over 10 laps and no one hut anyone or crashed.

I'm having to check that it was actually the GP2 I watched.

Good race today. Nasr taking his second win making a clean sweep for Brasil (Massa on pole in F1) and Williams Drivers including their reserve today. Nice to see Claire Williams at the podium supporting Nasr's win. Pretty sure Nasr will take Massa's seat in the next few years once Massa retires.

(Finally caught up on this)

Sprint race was pretty exciting too and its good to see that Ferrari's wonderkid 'lello has finally got up to speed and showing some great pace and overtakes. In the same way that Greenlantern101 was talking about Williams and Nasr, I'm sure Ferrari have Rafel in their future plans.

He certainly has the team mates mind games down as well. After his podium in the first race he was asked how he was able to keep team mate Colleti behind him when Colleti's tyres were so much fresher. His response?

"I don't know. Maybe you should ask Colleti why he was so slow"

Burn!

My boy Vandorne is showing every chance of doing a Felix Da Costa and throwing away the good rep he built himself. Looks quick but keeps playing bumpee cars in the mid pack.

Evans pulled a trick from JB's book in Canada. He squeezed Rossi into retirement on the restart and goes on to victory.

Apparently Vandoorne was under the impression that Mitch had to pit again and so didn't even really try to pass him.

Absolutely cracker of a GP2 race in Germany this afternoon.

Brilliant drive by Evans for the win with him hanging on to his tyres when everyone else on the same strategy as him just sinking like a stone. Just before the podium Palmer asked him how on earth he'd managed it and Evans said he had no clue either.

As for Colleti and Nasr coming through the field - just immense to watch.

One of the golden rules of GP2 is that if you race in it for long enough you will eventually get hit by Sergio Canamasas so its no surprise that he and Dillmen came together in qualifying today. However the fact that they colided at about 5mph in the queue to get out the pitlane when the light went green is pretty amazingly stupid even for GP2 drivers.

Meanwhile GP2's other guided missile Johnny Ceccto wiped out Jolyon Palmer in practice today by driving like an idiot. He got himself a 3 place grid for that one. He then proceeded to put in a purple first sector whilst it was under double waved yellows.

Can we start some sort of petition to get rid of these morons?

Last edited:
RasputinLives - I don't really watch much GP2, but what told me about Canamasas is that when he hit someone last week, the commentators (Buxton? and Valsecchi?) essentially reacted with the same vocal tones as the long-suffering parents of a particularly destructive 8-year-old, who's done something utterly thoughtless and stupid but not caused too much damage.

Yes. I think Buxton's exact words were "well thats not very bright is it Sergio"

He is truly a menace and he's not even very quick. I mean Ceccto's driving makes Maldonado look like an advert for driver safety but when he does get a clear lap you can see how quick he is. Canamasas I just don't get. Caterham even gave him a Friday P1 session in F1!

His Wikipedia entry is quite imteresting as when talking about a black flag he got its blamed on a mechanic being 'incredibly slow' leaving the grid. I think he might have edited it himself.

Canamasas makes Maldonado look amazing. Absolute joke today. Finally got black flagged but he ended at least 4 drivers races today in separate incidents.

Back
Top Bottom