Gossip, rumours, and general utterings

His win did nothing to cheer me up either. I wanted a last lap overtake. Shame.

Must admit - the lad did well. ( I think I'd have got him though... 8-))

According to Bild newspaper Helmut Marko (RBR) has accused Ferrari of listening into private team communications, and thus gaining a strategic advantage.

Marko said:
"We have noticed that Ferrari is doing some kind of espionage, We called Mark into the box relatively late, and yet they (Ferrari) managed to get Alonso in as well. They had been able to respond to us."

Later in the race RBR issued a fake command that Ferrari responded to and Christian Horner said:
"Unfortunately for Mark, he spent the first half looking at Fernando Alonso’s exhaust and to get him ahead in the end we did a dummy which they [Ferrari] fell for."

Courtesy of Czar_Orac on BBC 606.

I thought all radio transmissions were available to every team - that's what Brundle says often. And aren't 'dummy(misleading)' anythings illegal - like not sending the pit crew out and then back in without actually doing a pit stop Could be wrong on both counts though :)

:rolleyes: If Ferrari were indeed listening in on RBR's radio, and were duped into pitting by a false message, then it's definitely a case of "hoist by your own petard".

What they really need is a faster car...

I believe that Ferrari could be accused of breaking Sporting Regulation 30.13 at Barcelona:

At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed
potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person. This will apply whether any such car is being
driven on the track, the pit entry or the pit lane.

I thought all radio transmissions were available to every team - that's what Brundle says often. And aren't 'dummy(misleading)' anythings illegal - like not sending the pit crew out and then back in without actually doing a pit stop Could be wrong on both counts though :)
From the Technical Regulations:
8.7 Driver radio :
Other than authorised connections to the FIA ECU, any voice radio communication system between car
and pits must be stand-alone and must not transmit or receive other data. All such communications must
be open and accessible to both the FIA and, where appropriate, broadcasters.
I can't see anything that requires the teams to make all their communications directly available to other teams, so competitors should only hear those that are broadcast on the FOM live feed (which are delayed anyway). So Marko may have a point.

Back
Top Bottom