Global Warming

Bill Boddy

Professional layabout
Contributor
I caught the end of something on TV so it caused me to do some investigation.

There is a vegan whom I know who keeps on about getting rid of cattle to "save the world". I keep on saying that it is more complex than that as we would have to replace cattle with something which might turn out to be worse. I knew vaguely that grass is a carbon sink and this goes some way towards my suspicions being at least partially right.

Meh, plowing the fields releases tonnes of carbon which has been trapped in the soil so even if we grow more plants to eat it has an impact. There is nothing we as a species do which doesn't have an impact on our environment. I'm not saying we should do nothing but no one takes an holistic approach to this, rather they just have a target for the day.

Last week it was air travel, this week its asthma inhalers. Next week we could be back to farting cows or, here's a new one to consider, private space missions. Who knows what the green lobby will choose. What I do know is that with a predicted population of 9 billion by 2050 none of it will make an ounce of difference.

Don't worry, Mother Nature will find a way to create a major catastrophe which will cause a population collapse. Much better than all pull together to find and implement a solution.

Don't worry, Mother Nature will find a way to create a major catastrophe which will cause a population collapse. Much better than all pull together to find and implement a solution.

That's fine as long as I'm not around when it happens. I've never been that keen on mass panic, break downs in law and order, cataclysmic events, mass deaths, fatal diseases and the likes.

Back
Top Bottom