FIA Formula E

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk...ppoints-broadcast-media-partner-for-tv-glory/

Formula E have linked up with a massive new media company so fully expect to see it find a home on British TV somewhere with at least the London race being shown live.

Also it looks as if they are going to run the season from September to June meaning the big proportion will take place in the F1 off season which I think will help draw in fans needing their Motorsport fix.

Berlin confirmed as the tenth city on the Cal for Formula E. The series will kick off in September 2014 and run through the winter until June the year afterwards.

10 teams will compete in a spec car for the first year but apparently more teams will join the following season and will start producing their own cars. Mclaren, Renault and Dallara are on board and apparently a big name Indy car team will be announced as joining the series at the end of the summer.

Races will be known as electric prixs and will be a one day event with quali in the morning and then an hour long race in the afternoon. Cars only have enough power for 25 mins so drivers will have to swap cars mid race twice!

All sounds interesting. Venues are pretty amazing.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1085548_formula-e-finalizes-calendar-lures-indycar-team

Well I hope that the UK's scheduled for June - otherwise the circuit might get snowed out!!

I imagine the likes of Bangkok and Malysia will get the winter months. Think they are pretty safe with Miami, LA and Buernos Aries too.

Should imagine the series will start and end in Europe.

Then again who knows!

Andretti Autosport will be running a Formula E car apparently. And sometimes they'll run two depending on who is available. I'm sure those Miami and LA races are very attractive to them.

The new car was launched today in Frankfurt. I assume the half enclosed wheels are for efficiency reasons. Looks good to me.
http://www.fiaformulae.com/multimedia/car-launch

Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 14.05.22.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-10 at 14.07.13.png

Last edited:
So a new modern technology motor sport series with world wide interest and audience is about to start. With the current slump in interest in F1 it could really clean up if it has close racing.

If we add an American driver to the american team it could even crack worldwide audience status.

I can def see Mclaren loving this as well.

Greenlantern101 by about to start I mean relativly! This time next year it'll kick off and run through the winter off season into the summer of 2015. My meaning was that with F1 in a low point and the anvil of cival war hanging over it when Bernie dies a series which brings in futuristic technology and races right in the centre of some of the biggest cities in the world could win some attention.

As for TV coverage their is no news yet but the FIA have hired a big media group for the project so should imagine it will land somewhere. I reckon the whole eco thing would be a good fit for CH4.

I have to say looking through the regs the bit that catches my eye is the 100 yard dash to change cars the drivers will have to do at least once a race. How long before teams start hiring Bolt as a driver because he can make up so much time in pitstops ;)

If it ends up on Sky then like Masters GP and A1 GP it's buggered from minute one. Ok so Murdoch Corp has got F1 now but I don't think there's still enough interest in pay per view motor racing.

It could be shown on Eurosport and get a bit more publicity going for it but how much better if it was properly promoted and on free to air television. Given enough of a following wind it could actually provide something different to the casual motorsports viewer in the same way that Eurosport really helped to boost the image of Indy racing in the wake of Mansell's trip across the pond.

I'm convinced that both Masters GP and A1 GP would have lasted a lot longer if they hadn't chased the sky dollar in the short term but went for free to air and built up their exposure.

http://pitpass.com/48244/Exclusive-ex-F1-drivers-on-track-to-join-Formula-E

having read this interview it also scores over F1 in that it'll be much cheaper to enter! Its only going to be a spec series for the first year and then its a free for all but with a budget cap. Not sure about the idea of having car to.pit radio playing on loud speaker at the track though!

I agree with you cider_and_toast regarding the TV coverage but I don't think Sky will risk the wrath of Bernie and touch it anyways. I'm hoping CH4, CH5 or even the Beeb are tempted by its eco friendly PR and TV friendly 45min e-prix's round picturesque cities.

LA will go for this in a big way I think. Hollywood loves electric cars.

And bring back the Birmingham superprix I say !!!

RasputinLives I agree with you about Sky (at least I hope they don't touch it anyway) and for the same reason, if the Beeb want to see out their contract to show at least half of F1 live I don't think they'll go for it either. As you say, it's good stuff for C4 or 5. There's also the prospect of it being snapped up by ITV 4 to join their BTCC coverage.

Back
Top Bottom