FIA ruins race once again - let's boycott viewing the race

Status
Not open for further replies.

P1

Race Winner
Contributor
I've said it many times with regards to penalties.

No matter what, you have to keep the key players in the game, because that's what people are showing up to see.

5 place grid penalty would have been appropriate. This penalty is just ridiculous.

I won't be watching tomorrow. The only way these people will get it is if they lose viewership.

Who here boycotted Bahrain?

Yep, exactly.

Because an admittedly overly harsh penalty is worse than human rights violations, as we all know.

Watch the race, enjoy it, and hope everyone learns from their mistakes. And enjoy the sight of Maldonado crashing into Grosjean at some point.

Without sounding rude, this is ridiculous. I'm sure that if any other driver was penalised you wouldn't be
boycotting.

I would boycott if any driver who had a high chance of winning the race were to be excluded. A good sports authority keeps the key players in the game.

Doesn't surprise me that most of you guys don't care. I think many have got used to manipulated races in the last few years.

I would boycott if any driver who had a high chance of winning the race were to be excluded. A good sports authority keeps the key players in the game.
Hold on - isn't that why we watch sport in the first place? Because, in sport, there should surely be a set of solid laws and justifiable penalties that apply to every competitor in an even and honest manner. Now, you can argue the case that the FIA does not have those in place, but to suggest that a sports governing body bend the rules simply to "keep the key players in the game" is ridiculous.

Have we really gone far enough down the well that we want a sport's rules to just flat out not matter any more?

And yes, I do expect a witty response from someone saying that is exactly what F1 has become. Don't disappoint me CTA! ;)

Batman said:
Doesn't surprise me that most of you guys don't care. I think many have got used to manipulated races in the last few years.
And yet that is exactly what you are asking for.

McLaren and the FIA have once again managed to sour a race before it is run but I will still watch it.

Although I perhaps won't be glued to the TV as I usually am as I find the penalty overly harsh considering Hamilton's only advantage was on his final Q3 run, not through all of qualifying.

Hold on - isn't that why we watch sport in the first place? Because, in sport, there should surely be a set of solid laws and justifiable penalties that apply to every competitor in an even and honest manner. Now, you can argue the case that the FIA does not have those in place, but to suggest that a sports governing body bend the rules simply to "keep the key players in the game" is ridiculous.

Have we really gone far enough down the well that we want a sport's rules to just flat out not matter any more?

And yes, I do expect a witty response from someone saying that is exactly what F1 has become. Don't disappoint me CTA! ;)

And yet that is exactly what you are asking for.

No I am acknowledging that McLaren may have cheated on their last lap and that last time should be excluded. However I think he should get the grid position which he would have earned without cheating. i.e. his penultimate laptime. That would result in a grid which reflects competitive positions and results in an unmanipulated race.

Its the same as in football where you might issue a penalty for a handball, but you won't issue a red card.

Your approach would manipulate the race.

And what if the key players cheat?
I agree that the penalty is harsh, but McLaren brought it onto themselves.

And what if the key players cheat?
I agree that the penalty is harsh, but McLaren brought it onto themselves.

Cheating should not warrant exclusion, just grid correction. And the grid was incorrectly corrected. A correct correction would be to exclude only the last lap, where he used the fuel he needed to get back to the pits.

If cheating warrants exclusion, exclude him from the entire race weekend.

No that's what you think is a correct correction. There's a difference (although I agree the penalty is harsh, your solution is not necessarily the correct one. And as I stated elsewhere, the current one even might be the correct penalty, although I doubt that).

I'm looking forward to seeing Lewis storming through from the back of the.

Batman

I don't think you have any reason to create such a provocative thread. Your intention to boycott and your urging for others to do so could easily have been placed in the existing GP thread without inviting such a response, or indeed as part of your other thread on the subject.

For that reason, I am locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom