Festival of Speed vs Revival: Which do you prefer?

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
With the approach of this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed, I find myself wondering which of its two best-known events do the CTA members prefer.

Perhaps because I am old(er) I tend to prefer the Revival, as it usually contains far more specimens (both mechanical and human) from the era I grew up in and during which I enjoyed racing the most: the 60s and 70s. To my jaundiced eyes, that era contained more beautiful and daring shapes than any subsequent time can boast.

So, which of the events would you rather attend, and why?

Revival, I've always enjoyed the more "analogue" nature of historic racing, since I was a child I've been in love with the cigar shaped single seaters and the associated sounds and smells. When I was a guest of RJReynolds (owner of the Camel brand) at Grands Prix at Silverstone I spent more time gawping around and poking about the old race cars than the current ones, the nostalgia is almost crippling when you see the machines (almost) at the same limits as in their heyday.
Of course, if I could, I'd go to both; such a shame that I can go to neither.

Last edited:
The festival TV coverage is a "presenteritis" and gives the impression that it's a rich peeps love fest'. The revival coverage isn't much better thanks to over editing of races and directors only following the leading cars unless there's an incident. If I could afford to go to one it would be the revival ... but I can't. Can't be arsed to watch either on the box these days either.

It's a shame really.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom