Ferrari, Alonso and Vettel

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
Once again there were reports from the BBC today suggesting that Ferrari have signed Vettel for 2014 with the deal done and Alonso happy for it to be done. Now in the entire history of Ferrari there have been very few occasions when they have ever had a strong pairing and you could argue this would be their strongest of all time.

With Ferrari being renowned for the political in-fighting on every level can the Alonso / Vettel partnership ever hope to work? Can they work together for the good of the tean or will their ambition see them fight it out to dominate the garage?

I just can't see how two great drivers can live side by side in the team and Vettel, much like Button when he joined McLaren is the one entering the lions den. Things have worked out well for Button but will the same thing happen to Seb?

Considering Alonso has it written in to his contract that he is the number one driver and has a veto over team mates, I'm not sure why Vettel would ever accept the number two role.

I still have a hard time believing that Vettel would sign for Ferrari under those circumstances.

Alonso obviously thinks that he has the measure of Vettel in equal equipment. I think it will make or break Vettel's career. We'll find out if it is him or the car that is getting the results.

I'm not denying that he is quick but this could be the 1st time he is up against an apparent equal.

One thing wiorth taking into account is the fact that Alonso will be 33 in the middle of 2014. We have sometimes seen top drivers in the past begin to lose a wee bit of raw speed at that age.

I have to say I'm in the "never in a million years" camp as well.

Oh, I also forgot to say that in the radio report the BBC said that Vettel's contract has a clause that means the deal is dependant on Ferraris performance in 2013. Finish above a certain point and it's deal on.

Alonso obviously thinks that he has the measure of Vettel in equal equipment. I think it will make or break Vettel's career. We'll find out if it is him or the car that is getting the results.

I'm not denying that he is quick but this could be the 1st time he is up against an apparent equal.

Given that he is a 2-time wdc, and probably ready to add the third, I would say his career is already made. Especially since this year the Bulls were clearly inferior to Ferrari and McLaren , and possibly even Lotus, at the start of the season.

Since Alonso's contract specifies that he has number 1 status, that would mean that Vettel, by definition, would be given inferior equipment. How would they then be "apparent equals"?

I think the cars will be equal or almost equal but strategy for race order and pit stops would come into play.
I can't honestly see Ferrari deliberately making Vettel's car slower just to keep Alonso happy although Alonso may get 1st option with upgrades.

Just a "what-if" but what if Ferrari are chasing Newey behind the scenes and Newey has said he'll only come with Vettel? Might be way-out-there but the thought crossed my mind and so I've decided to share it with you. If that were the case it would certainly change the scape of things.

Exciting idea but too far away to have any meaning or relevance - one season to finish and another to get through so hold your water!

Vettel is from my understanding a Ferrari driver for 2014. Vettel has signed a multi-year deal with the Italian giants and will be Alonso's teammate. If Alonso has two brain-cells to his head he'll see this is a good move for the team with regards to winning the teams championship. Plus a bit of rivallary would do him the world of good in this team, plus this is his team. Vettel going in to it will have to get to know the team and Alonso could win the 2014 title while Vettels still finding his feet. Plus I really wanna see this work out as I think both will be class team-mates.

HammydiRestarules

Hell, I think, followed by heaven. The driver pairing would implode and I think the new boy would win out. F1 is a fickle environment and the hottest property is Newey - and he loves Vettel because he flatters the types of cars he likes to design. There is an evident symbiosis between the two of them.

He does package them, though, and the way they are packaged can affect their performance and reliability. Often compromises are made in construction of mechanical parts over aero when it comes to Newey's cars.

Back
Top Bottom