F1 TV coverage

Not Channel 4 that's for certain, yes they raise revenue from advertising but the rest comes from public funding. There is no way on this green earth that they could raise the sort of cash to challenge Sky in a bidding process if FOM were forced to put it out to tender again. (or for the first time depending on your point of view). That's the trouble with Sky, once they get their grubby hands on a sport there is no going back.

Oh well, another sport that I'll barely watch. When motogp went to BT I pretty much stopped watching it, and the highlights. I suppose I'll just have to do something productive on Sunday afternoons.

I suppose what Bernie is forgetting is that there are other revenue streams that will dry up when F1 goes to Sky exclusive - for instance, far fewer individuals will want to pay for the live timing app.

Without the BBC, Bernie would not be where he is today (there probably wouldn't be a modern F1). Yet, he is willing to kick sand all over terrestrial TV at any opportunity.

Im starting to think bernies days are numbered because the teams won't be happy with their wishes to be of terrestrial tv removed & drivers wont because the current crop f1 will no longer be superstars, have a big public profile like the drivers in late 80's 90's & 00's. I wondering whether if 1 more thing where he chases money over history. Like dumping monza, we could be looking at a coup. Because I have never known in the last few yrs 1 man do so much to ruin a sport like bernie has

& we need someone similar to Barry hearn to come replace him because he understands compromise between money & viewing figures. Because he has transformed darts from a small sport in front of 1000/1500 people to 10000 sell outs. He's got the money from sky sports but also given big tournaments to itv & new 1 on bbc to increase the sports profile

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone, but I have been looking at the options for digital tv other than sky whilst still keeping live F1 coverage and of course Sky Atlantic for Game of Thrones. I would also like to keep Dave and Gold if possible. Gold is a Sky channel.

So the only option for the sky side of things is Now TV which is effectively a Sky app or box without the contract.

The only alternative to sky that I can see which meets my criteria is to get a YouView box which has the Now TV app built in.
This will give me the regular digital channels including Dave as well as some HD channels and access to Now TV where I can pay for either day (£7.99) or week(£10.99) passes to sky sports when there is a Grand Prix on. I can also pay 9.99 a month for the entertainment pack which gives you Sky Atlantic and Gold. Which I will only really need for the G.O.T. run which is less than 3 months. Not sure I can justify £9.99 to watch Fools and Horses on Gold for the 20th time.

To Sum up

Sky £495 (my current HD+F1 package others may differ) per year vs YouView with NowTV max £350 per year but could be as little as £197.76 (21 sports day passes + 3 months E.Pack)

Something to mull over.
Not sure if that helps anyone but me.

Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 12.09.30.png

I'm the same Titch and when I went through my sky recordings I apparently only record stuff from Sky F1, BBC 1 and 2, ITV, Channel 4, Film 4, Sky Atlantic, Dave and Gold. So it got me wondering why I was paying for 600 channels and watching just 9 of them.

@Greenlantern - I suppose you could console yourself with the idea that actually, you're only really paying for the Sky channels - all of the others don't receive a penny from the sky subscription, and have to be funded through other means...

I recently cancelled a contract that provided Sky 1, as I didn't feel I was getting money's worth for it...

DVD's are an option but could I wait 6 months for them to come out...:thinking:.... I'm already nearing delirium waiting for it to come on TV just 30 days to go. :twisted:

I think G.O.T. is the only thing I watch on Sky Atlantic.

If I wanted Game of Thrones I would have to cough up an extra 56 dollars a month for the privilege of getting HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/STARZ/Encore/etc... That's on top of the 84 dollar a month DirecTV bill.

Honestly, for an F1 fan that watches all the sessions, Sky is a steal.

I get to pay $70 bucks for cable per month and it comes with TSN which has qualifying and race (and sometimes practice). But I also have to endure at least 20 minutes of commercials on race day ... Or I can wait 48 hours and watch it on demand (with less commercials) ...

Back
Top Bottom