European GP to ... Majorca?

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84912

Autosport are reporting that the European GP could move just a little bit to the right on the map to Majorca.

Now, obviously, Majorca has a certain amount of hotels and an efficient airport, so it has the infastructure to get there unlike some islands:

However, do we think a track in Majorca would be any better than Valencia? Would it retain the title of European Grand Prix, and...

COULD VALENCIA GO?

Attachments

• F110.jpg
    F110.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Thing.jpg
    Thing.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 158
Valencia has the contract until 2014 and even then, the rights are held by Bernie's mate Flavio so unless something changes I can't see Flavio's cash cow being taken away from him.

As for could it work? Who cares! Anywhere is better than Valencia.

Brogan said:
I can't see Flavio's cash cow being taken away from him.

I suppose there could be pressure from the FIA not to pay money to their persona non grata for Formula One. I doubt they'd be too happy with Briatore taking cash home, and would probably prefer Majorca.

I object to Spain having more than one GP. The European GP should be given to France, who have one of the longest histories in Formula 1 in the world. It is a travesty that they have not had a GP recently.

siffert_fan said:
I object to Spain having more than one GP. The European GP should be given to France, who have one of the longest histories in Formula 1 in the world. It is a travesty that they have not had a GP recently.
:thumbsup:

I agree, siff. How about Corsica if the island thing is going off.

Or if it has to be a second-in-country European GP, I say back to the Nurburgring.

Since the talks about the possibility of Valencia being binned there seems to be several European tracks that have been talking themselves up, to cover their bases if they decided they wish to make a bid, with the A1 Ring, and Magny Cours being the latest

MajorDanby said:
Since the talks about the possibility of Valencia being binned there seems to be several European tracks that have been talking themselves up, to cover their bases if they decided they wish to make a bid, with the A1 Ring, and Magny Cours being the latest

By the way, since they were both 1991 circuits in F1 terms, were Catalunya and Magny-Cours designed by the same ... masochist? If so, Tilke doesn't deserve as much contempt as these guys!

teabagyokel said:
By the way, since they were both 1991 circuits in F1 terms, were Catalunya and Magny-Cours designed by the same ... masochist? If so, Tilke doesn't deserve as much contempt as these guys!

Think that Magny-Cours was actually built in the 60's sometime, before it fell in disrepair until being rebuilt in the 90's. Not sure who build/designed Catalunya :)

I know Magny Cours isn't the best circuit in the world but I just don't think F1 is the same without - one of - the home countries of motor sport on the calendar. I'm not exactly up to scratch on my knowledge of French circuits but the ones that spring to mind are Paul Ricard, Dijon and Le Mans.

Anyway, Valencia certainly isn't the answer for a Euro GP...

Boyle99 said:
I know Magny Cours isn't the best circuit in the world but I just don't think F1 is the same without - one of - the home countries of motor sport on the calendar. I'm not exactly up to scratch on my knowledge of French circuits but the ones that spring to mind are Paul Ricard, Dijon and Le Mans.

Anyway, Valencia certainly isn't the answer for a Euro GP...

I know what you mean, but it seems to be that a solution can be found for not having a track some places and not others.

Surely, they want a track in France. Surely.

As great as it was to see two GP in the UK when we hosted the British and European rounds many moons ago, surely it's time to drop the European GP any way?

In this day and age when there are supposedly so many countries begging to host a GP and an ever growing calender isn't it a bit of a pointless exercise ??

I would say in terms of publicity wouldn't it be great to have the country that wins the world drivers championship awarded an extra race either the following year or perhaps 12 months later to enable facilities to be prepared.

To be honest and I know I may sound like a heathen here, for me it's not so much the countries that host the GP but the tracks. I'd love to see a GP back in Holland for example not because it's Holland but to see racing at Zandvoort again. Should Belgium host a GP? Of course they should, Spa is one of the best races of the year. How good was it to see Canada back this year? It sounds like Turkey is living on borrowed time due to location and poor ticket sales but it is one of the better new tracks and has deserved a place on the Calendar.

If the track in Majorca is superb then it's not really an issue but the odds are not looking good judging by most of the new tracks we've seen in the last few years.

The track map I saw reminded me of modern-day Estoril - not good.

Obviously you can't see the gradient but from what I remember there might not be that much in Majorca anyway?

To be honest I'm doubtful. Would it count as a "fly-away" for the teams? That's a lot of equipment going by boat, otherwise.

teabagyokel said:

Theres nothing wrong with Catalunya, and im fed up of people saying its a poor track. Try taking a look at the history of the track at MotoGP. Its not only one of the biggest events of the year, and has brought some classic racing. Even F1 has has some great ones there. The only problem is most F1 drivers can drive round there with there eyes closed (Oh No! blindfolded racing, I can see it being a rule for next year if the FIA or OWG read it) because if F1 testing.

Has for Majorca I think the layout looks nice tbh, I cannot see why Galahad would compare it Estroil, would be nice to see a new Track without Tilke trademarks on it. Not that i got a problem with his tracks but variety would be nice, rather then every new track having the same sort of template. And yes its better then Valencia, which ugly as sin, as bout as featureless as a blank canvas and promotes racing as good as a scalectrix with only one slot.

The European GP tho, having a European GP at France would be the French Gp wouldn't it? whe whole point of is so two great tracks in the same country could end up on the Calendar......well that was the point once wasn't it?
But one idea I had is a rolling European GP going to different tracks each year. Perhaps it could give good tracks that perhaps cannot afford to hold an event every year a chance to be on the calendar like, Zandvoort, Imola, A1 ring, Many Cours etc. And perhaps give a try out almost to new tracks without having to tie them into 5 year contracts before. Then if its successful it can have a GP all of its own.

Ok, sorry about Catalunya :embarrassed:

I think the only problem with that is the definition of successful. To us, success looks like this:

To Bernie, it looks like his bank account is full. So while I agree in principle to a 'shop window' European GP, I fear that like all else in F1, it is in the wrong hands!

Attachments

• F110.jpg
    F110.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom