Football Euro 2020

Johnny Carwash

World Champion
Contributor
With the Kick off of the delayed Euro 2020 Championships just over a week away,which also will have a one off format of being held in 11 host cities around Europe, thanks to the former head of UEFA Michel Platini for that idea.Will it prove by having more home matches for certain teams, it will be a big advantage compared to other teams who have long distances to travel.
Could we also have a repeat of the Euros in 2004,and have a rank outsider like Greece winning, or will it be one of the usual suspects walking off with the Henri Delaunay trophy.

F9FF7D8C-AAAA-4F4A-B041-9985AA10E518.png

Thanks to my relatives I have two teams in the tournament.

England until their inevitable defeat in extra time / on penalties and then the Netherlands.

More recently, England have done better than the Dutch but at least I have options.

i grown to like southgate. last tournament was the 1st we had turned up to for 14 yrs & won 1st shootout for 22yrs. i understand it was an impossible decision as someone wouldve been upset, as he decide between PL winner CL winner & LaLiga winner. but TAA was probably the best of the 4 but had won nothing. but a few times he shown if theres a tough decision to make he will find a way to weasle out of it & today is no different

even if everything was perfect i would worry about England at euros because we have been given nightmare draw in knockouts, before we even got there because lets say we top the group, we drawn against the runner up in Group F. now should be france, portugal or germany by some miracle which we have done since 1982 2000 or 1966. we got through we would likely play spain in quarter final we havent beaten them in major tournament since 1996

Seeing as England have gone with 4 right backs, maybe they have learnt from Euro 92, when they ended up with David Batty at right back. You can never be to careful.
798E6722-52F2-4678-8618-8D95F02648E7.jpeg

i doubt we will ever be as bad euro 92, admitally i was there at the time but ive heard alot about it & i loved this review from website talking about tv coverage of prior major tournaments. but i loved the review denmark waited for england to score, realised they were useless & so started to attack

temp.png

Graham Taylor never had too much luck as England manager with a long injury list and some awful refereeing decisions but dear Lord he picked some bloody awful England squads during that era.

ill admit im wasnt old enough to full understand the joke at time but i remember alot of blades fans joking in 2003 play off semi final, "you'll never beat des walker" after he just scored an own goal to send us to cardiff LOL

i wonder who would be in worst england team of the last 40 years, because before that we were quite decent

Last edited:
This is one of my favourite moments, which summed up Taylor's time as England manager. Never forget he inherited a team who had made the semi-finals at Italia '90 and failed to qualify for USA '94.

to be generous to graham taylor im not saying he was brilliant, wasnt that world cup just a purple patch & what happened in 88 92 & 94 was just accurate level of where we were. because in 88 we lost all 3 group games, coming into italia 90 we qualified as best runner up after only 3 wins from 6 2 of them was v the whipping boys of the group. then fluked their way through the group in 1990

to be generous to graham taylor im not saying he was brilliant, wasnt that world cup just a purple patch & what happened in 88 92 & 94 was just accurate level of where we were. because in 88 we lost all 3 group games, coming into italia 90 we qualified as best runner up after only 3 wins from 6 2 of them was v the whipping boys of the group. then fluked their way through the group in 1990
Eh?

Yes we finished second in our qualifying group but like Sweden we were unbeaten. We scored more goals than Sweden, 10 to 9 while at the same time we didn't concede a single goal.

At the world cup we had a tough group containing a decent Irish side and the reigning European champions in Holland. We topped that group and were the only team to win match and concede the fewest goals.

We knocked Belgium out with one of the finest international goals scored by an England player.

Yes we struggled against Cameroon but they were no mugs and had topped their group beating eventual finalists Argentina in the process.

We were only a boot lace away from beating West Germany.

I know you weren't there to see it but I was 16 at the time. Italia 90 really was the boost English football needed. The 80's were terrible with violence at matches a regular thing. We'd had Heisel, Hillsborough, the Bradford Stadium fire and the ban on clubs in Europe to name a few.

Sky and the Premier League like to take the credit for rebuilding football but in truth it was Italia 90 that set the game back on track and Euro 96 gave it the kick on it needed.

Fluked the group indeed !!!!

If the the decision to send off Neco Williams tonight against France is what we are to expect from the referees and VAR, then the Euro’s could well be a shower of s**t.

Eh?

Yes we finished second in our qualifying group but like Sweden we were unbeaten. We scored more goals than Sweden, 10 to 9 while at the same time we didn't concede a single goal.

At the world cup we had a tough group containing a decent Irish side and the reigning European champions in Holland. We topped that group and were the only team to win match and concede the fewest goals.

We knocked Belgium out with one of the finest international goals scored by an England player.

Yes we struggled against Cameroon but they were no mugs and had topped their group beating eventual finalists Argentina in the process.

We were only a boot lace away from beating West Germany.

I know you weren't there to see it but I was 16 at the time. Italia 90 really was the boost English football needed. The 80's were terrible with violence at matches a regular thing. We'd had Heisel, Hillsborough, the Bradford Stadium fire and the ban on clubs in Europe to name a few.

Sky and the Premier League like to take the credit for rebuilding football but in truth it was Italia 90 that set the game back on track and Euro 96 gave it the kick on it needed.

Fluked the group indeed !!!!
England were outstanding once they made the knockout stages & deserved to win the world cup. & i probably have underestimated the group as ireland were very good back then & dutch were reigning champions. but it just feels in hindsight admitally that it was bit of purple patch alot like greece 2004

One right back down 3 to go.

horrible as it sounds as he probally the best of the 4. but it could be blessing in disguise as Southgate wouldnt make the tough decision so made for him

should Give a more balanced squad. id like to see a ward prose or a lingard give 2nd chance

Back
Top Bottom