Epsilon Euskadi confirm 2010 entry

bogaTYR said:
databases and F1, not a great combination bro :)
I think you'll find ours is pretty solid boga.
We spent months checking, revising and re-checking the data so I'm fairly confident of it's accuracy.

Max works in mysterious ways!

Like I said, the whole crux of FOTA's unity is that the FIA Championship cannot survive without the big names of Ferrari, McLaren et al, I think sticking Lotus in there gives Max a lot of political power, personally.

Like I also said, I think Gordini, Alfa Romeo, BRM, Vanwall and Maserati need to make comebacks!

Bah, they won't get in. No need to panic Bro!

You say that GM but stranger things have happenend. The head of Litespeed was interviewed in this weeks Autosport and talked a great deal of sence. Given how much David Richards has ooohed and aaahed about entering it would seem that Litespeeds application isn't as week as thought.

I think it's clear to see that there are many teams that want to enter F1 and as I have said before what's so bad about bringing back pre-qual. If a team has got the ability to make it in F1 they will have the staying power. If they don't pre qualify then they fail. It won't make a big difference in the long run especially as f1 has been running with only 10 teams for the last few years.

then again, maybe i'm being blinded by the fact that the prospect of seeing the name lotus on the grid is more important to me.

:goodday:

I would agree with bringing back pre-qualifying.

If we can't have more than 13 teams racing due to logistical and safety issues then at least we can 15-20 teams fighting it out during qualifying.

However, that in itself would cause problems as there wouldn't be enough pit boxes for all the teams and as teams set them up well before qualifying starts I have no idea how to resolve that.

I used to love pre-qualifying, and look back on those days with a great deal of nostalgia, but the reality is that if teams aren't getting through to at least main qualifying, they're not going to get the TV coverage to get enough sponsors, and then won't have enough money to improve the car to the point where it is capable of qualifying - it's a vicious circle.

Very few of the old pre-qually regulars lasted for more than two seasons.

Of course, if the FOM prize money was distributed in a different manner, perhaps smaller teams wouldn't be as reliant on sponsorship for the bulk of their operations. But that isn't likely to change significantly - if Bernie gives the new teams more cash it will be out of the pockets of the existing ones, not from his own.

Would a 20 or 30 lap "sprint race" for the last 16 of the previous race on the Saturday morning be a better idea than pre-qualifying with the top 10 going through to qualifying proper?

Perhaps difficult as a broken car would need to mended in time for the main qualifying. Also problems with tyres/engines/gearbox restrictions. Maybe two extra engines and 3 sets of tyres kept in reserve for any team having to enter the sprint race?

I bet the TV producers would love it.

The reasoning behind having pre-qualifying would, presumably, be that there aren't enough garages at Monaco for more than 26 cars. So in the old days it was held on Thursday morning (Friday at other circuits), and once they knew who was going to be in qualifying proper they could move their equipment and personnel into the garages.

Having a sprint race on the Saturday morning sounds great from an entertainment point of view, but I don't think it could work logistically with more than 13 teams.

GM - If the restriction is simply garage space at Monaco I think the solution is obvious, although perhaps not that preferred by Bernie and the "beautiful" peolpe.

How nice to be included with the beautiful people! :D

The more the merrier, I say. Let them all on the grid and into the race. Then at Monaco, the team(s) with the worst results in the first four or five races aren't allowed to turn up. Harsh but, I would argue, fair.

Or even just make Monaco a part-invitational non-WC race - Maybe the top 8 teams from the previous season, plus the rest to be made up by invite, although the criteria for selection would need some thinking.

Or how about borrowing an idea from NASCAR and the All-Star race at Charlotte?

Say, have all race winning teams from the past 5 years, plus any race winning drivers still racing. Recently retired (within 3 years) WC's could enter as a replacement or 3rd driver

The remainder could then enter a 'race off', practice/qualifying on Thursday am, 40 lap race on Thursday pm. The first 8 stay on for the main event, the rest go home.

Single practice and qualifying then takes place Saturday, with the race on Sunday.

This year's line-up would have had (I think)

McLaren - LH, HK
Ferrari - FM, KR
Renault - FA, NPJ
BMW - RK, NH
Brawn (courtesy of JB and RB race wins)
Torro Rosso - SB, SB
Williams - NR, KN

Trulli
Vettel
Fisichella

Schumacher, Villeneuve and Montoya could have made a one-off return, if they fancied it.

It's a shame that the grid size is still being determined by what is for me one of the most boring races on the calendar.

Is it just Monaco that has a restriction of 13 teams when it comes to pit boxes and grid slots?
Surely all other circuits on the current calendar and in recent years can handle more than this?

That was guesswork on my part, Bro, though I can't think of any circuits with shorter pitlane/fewer garages than Monaco?

Most of them host GT races for upwards of 40 cars after all.

I'm pretty sure it's the case GM.
I seem to recall reading something about the restriction being due to Monaco.

Even now with 20 cars the back markers are around the corner and don't actually see the starting lights so with 26 it's going to be even worse.

Fat Bloke said:
Would a 20 or 30 lap "sprint race" for the last 16 of the previous race on the Saturday morning be a better idea than pre-qualifying with the top 10 going through to qualifying proper?

Perhaps difficult as a broken car would need to mended in time for the main qualifying. Also problems with tyres/engines/gearbox restrictions. Maybe two extra engines and 3 sets of tyres kept in reserve for any team having to enter the sprint race?

I bet the TV producers would love it.

I agree with you on this! I'd love to see it. Or we could have it Sunday morning, say with the teams that finished 21- in Quali and have the top 6 qualifying for the grid. So we could have the spectacle of a top driver who stopped in Q1 scrabbling through the slow cars in order to make the grid!

This means that Sunday mornings would also have some F1 attraction other than the race too!

all nice but the teams won't accept it methinks. another chance to have a padaboom and sunday morning is not the best time for that. with the race in the afternoon. plus maybe there is a physical reason too. some tracks are more draining on the drivers then others.

but still, i like the idea but it should be at the right time. A1GP isn't all sillyness really.

Oh, boga, no doubt the teams won't accept it. It is too much common sense for the likes of Briatore, Dominicali, Whitmarsh et al to want, like budget capping for example.

If Monaco is unfit for purpose, then I got a radical solution for you! And it is obvious!

One thing that really annoyed me about Monaco this year is the whole "look at the list of great Champions who've won here: Senna, Prost, Schumacher..."

Well, yeah, they won everywhere else as well! Of course they won in Monaco! If we're going on that assault the great driver is the one that wins the Spanish GP since all but 4 SGP winners (pre-2009) failed to become WDC (Villeneuve, Mass, Depalier, Massa). And guess what? Schumacher, Senna and Prost won it! The thing is Trintignant, Beltoise, Patrese, Panis, Montoya, Coulthard and Trulli didn't (with all due respect)! An Andrea Moda managed to qualify in Monaco!

Anyway, thats my 2p on Monaco, but I like your idea for a glitzy race to reward winners and the like! How about entries from 2006-08 going to the 2009 All Star GP:

ENTRIES

1. ALONSO, F (2006 Bhn, Aus, Esp, Mon, GB, Can, Jap; 2007 Mal, Mon, Eur, Ita; 2008 Sin, Jpn)
  2. MASSA, F (2006 Tur, Brz; 2007 Bhn, Esp, Tur; 2008 Bhn, Tur, Fra, Eur, Bel, Brz)
  3. HAMILTON, L (2007 Can, US, Hun, Jap; 2008 Aus, Mon, GB, Ger, Chn)
  4. RAIKKONEN, K (2007 Aus, Fra, GB, Bel, Chn, Brz; 2008 Mal, Esp)
  5. SCHUMACHER, M (2006 Smr, Eur, US, Fra, Ger, Ita, Chn)
  6. FISICHELLA, G (2006 Mal)
  7. BUTTON, J (2006 Hun)
  8. KUBICA, R (2008 Can)
  9. KOVALAINEN, H (2008 Hun)
  10. VETTEL, S (2008 Ita)
  11. HEIDFELD, N (2nd, 2007 Can; 2008 Aus, Can, GB, Bel)
  12. MONTOYA, JP (2nd, 2006 Mon)
  13. DE LA ROSA, P (2nd, 2006 Hun)
  14. PIQUET, N (2nd, 2008 Ger)
  15. GLOCK, T (2nd, 2008 Hun)
  16. ROSBERG, N (2nd, 2008 Sin)

16 entries with Alonso/Piquet/Fisichella for Renault, Massa/Raikkonen/Schumacher for Ferrari, Hamilton/Kovalainen/Montoya/de la Rosa for McLaren, Button for Brawn, Kubica/Heidfeld for BMW, Vettel for STR, Glock for Toyota and Rosberg for Williams.

Alonso would have had a choice of drives, but I'd imagine McLaren wouldn't be waiting for him!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 084475.stm

Well according to the beeb, Litespeed have acquired the rights to the name from David Hunt and are in talks with Proton/Lotus for support. I guess they are doing their level best to ensure that it is Lotus returning to F1 rather than a brand new team using the Lotus name.

Yeah yeah yeah I know I am bias and am maybe willing and hoping more than being realistic but hey.

I've got every fingure crossed for June 12th. :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom