Earthlike Planets

Last night I re-watched one of the BBC programs from their series Wonders of the Solar System. This just happened to be the one about atmosphere.

We need the atmosphere to exist, it controls so many of the planet's systems. If there is too little e.g. Mercury, then there is nothing to slow down objects and the planet gets heavily bombarded, also it gets the full effect of the harmful rays from the sun. With the lack of atmosphere the change of temperature between night and day is very high. Mercury basically lost it's atmosphere very quickly because of it's low gravity and high heat.

Jupiter is the opposite, it has a very deep atmosphere, with no solid centre. The result is massive storms, the red spot is one that has been raging for at least 300 years. It holds on to it's atmosphere because of it's surface gravity which has been calculated as being 2.53 times that of the earth (Jupiter does not have a solid surface so I presume that this gravity is at it's liquid surface). It is also colder than the earth, -108.15 C compared to the earth's 15 C. The density is less than 25% of that on the earth, it's mean circumference is 11 times that of the earth.

So whether or not a planet (or moon) can support life as we know it is dependent on many parameters, which include it's gravity.

Yeah, but I don't know why when it comes to astronomy people are so obsessed about the search for life. I always found life just about the least interesting aspect of it.

i mean what's so special about life, we got plenty of it on here and it's all a bit boring at times so why get so excited about the possibiity of other boring people 500 light years whom we'll never be able to meet anyway?
i much prefer reading about truly weird stuff about black holes or monster galaxies canibalising each other. Much more interesting.

Aliens are just boring aren't they? Smug little green bastards...

Last edited:
Ha, if you read any of my poetry you'd be very disappointed. That said, from what I heard of Orwell's efforts I might get published yet.

where one of the people speaking mentioned Hubble 2

Why do people feel the need to dumb everything down, couldn't he of just called it by its actual name 'The James Webb Space Telescope' and described it as a new space telescope rather than Hubble 2.

If anything it is rather disrespectful to James Webb and the people involved to call it Hubble 2.

James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) NASA

We just don't understand how they work that's all. We are looking for signals we understand. So they aren't like us. They are probably those giant aliens that featured in "Independence Day".
ROFL

Back
Top Bottom