Driver numbers

Lewis is going to have number 10 because to be honest he doesn't give a damn what number the decal on his car says. Unless its 1 I guess. But really guys. Does it really matter? Its a number!

Schumacher was superstitious about odd numbers, not my bag but if that was what made him happy, and Rosberg didn't mind, what's the big deal. When Nakajima came into F1 he was given the number 4, which is unlucky in Japan, so was given the number 3 car to keep him happy. You will also note that there is no No.13 in F1 so it appears the FIA is superstitious also.

Should I have ever been a driver, I would have insisted on having no 11 on my car! It is a magical and mystical number, which should never be altered (i.e. added together to make 2), and features strongly in many cultures and religions.

So who is going to be first to tell me it was the number of an inept and unlucky driver? :)

Just to give you a flavour Jen

2008 No.11 = Jarno Trulli
2009 No.11 = Sebastian Bourdais
2010 No.11 = Robert Kubica
2011 No.11 = Rubens Barrichello
2012 No.11 = Paul Di Resta

None of them have had the best of luck since.

Next year it'll prob be Nico Hulkenberg though if that helps.

Was the reason with Mercedes swapping their numbers about more to keep a fully 'red' car and a 'yellow' car. Ie Gloves helmet and the coloured flashes. Also what will happen this year as both Hamilton and Rosberg has been wearing a yellow lid? (What colour did he wear at Williams?)

Yellow, white and blue tonyw151. Think the blue was for RBS (there's some well used tax payers money)

nico-rosberg_1365872c.jpg

So who keeps the yellow next year? I'm assuming they want to be identified.

Though saying that when the team was Brawn didn't JB and RB have lids coulour matched to the car?

Was the reason with Mercedes swapping their numbers about more to keep a fully 'red' car and a 'yellow' car. Ie Gloves helmet and the coloured flashes. Also what will happen this year as both Hamilton and Rosberg has been wearing a yellow lid? (What colour did he wear at Williams?)

As far as I can remember it was a request made by Michael Schumacher because he prefers odd numbers. ;)
With the one exception in Spa 1991 (No. 32) if I'm not mistaken, he has always driven cars with an odd number, I guess it is some kind of superstition, after all he was quite successful in all of them, he just ran out of luck at Mercedes.:(

I found an article here:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/156183/1/schumacher_car_number_swap_request_granted_by_fia.html

BAR and BUT did have matching colour schemes on their helmets in Australia '09. BUT kept it up all season but BAR went back to his original colour scheme after Australia.

Plutus. I had heard the story, but was wondering if threre was more to it than that.

Westy Thanks, I'm glad I wasn't imagining it.

I'm not looking forwards to trying to figure out who is who with both in yellow lids and I've never got to grips with the coloured flashes/cameras.

Apart from number 1, which is special, numbers seem a bit old hat and pointless to me. I can see the need to be able to differentiate between drivers on track, but you could just print names/initials on the cars if the helmets aren't enough.

Names are printed on the cars, except that they are really small. I guess I just like the numbering system used in racing, every form of motorsports encorporates it into their formula. I have a photograph of two Ferrari's on the wall of my classroom and there is something about the 27 and 28 that makes my heart skip a beat when I look at them. The same thing goes for numbers (Red) 5 and 6 on the Williams. I think it is a marketing opportunity that is being missed. Teams could be forever known for their numbers, except for when they have the champion.

On a side note, do you think we will ever see #0 on any car again? This happened in back to back season (Damon Hill) after the previous years champion retired or left the sport (Nigel Mansell and Alain Prost in '92 and '93 respectively).

Unfortunately with stepped noses being covered up we lose a nice place to stick a number. The one good thing about them was you could clearly see the number from a front on shot.

Dissapointed no one came in to save HRT. Means we're back down to 22 which sucks.

Although it's a pity we have just 22 left, to be honest I don't think the new teams have added much to F1 in the past years. They're always at the back and unable to get into the points.

Unfortunately with stepped noses being covered up we lose a nice place to stick a number.

The noses won't necessarily be covered up, I understand the modesty plate is optional. It will be interesting to see what teams decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom