Dressage - is it a sport and should it be in the Olympics?

Can we just say no? Training horses to walk in a pettern is like me hopping or skipping, and that isn't an event, however, training a human to run fast is, so who knows!

The musically accompanied dressage is brilliant, I'm torn between it and the gymnastics with a ball or tape on a stick.
Marvellously inclusive, just as the Olympic games should be.

Oddly, I believe we got a gold and bronze for the disco horses.

Sadly, I couldn't watch it, so will catch on i-player or some such.

Thanks, Greenlantern101, for putting up this topic for debate.

I had an idea to do so myself the other evening after watching a bit of it, and getting uncomfortable with the whole spectacle.

My main concern is that, many years ago, we could have all gone to the circus and been treated to dancing bears, performing seals, lion taming, performing elephants and ...... yes, performing horses (with or without rider).

Today, in more enlightened times, most of us would shun away from paying to watch any of these - but Dressage is still a "sport". :no:

An animal being trained (with even minimal force) to do something that it would not do naturally in the wild is just plain WRONG.

Horses run and they jump, fine ! - they don't canter along at a 45 degree angle or trot on the spot ! :givemestrength:

Jen, big difference with the modern pentathlon is that the rider is drawn at random to ride a horse that they have never seen before.

Much easier to say '**** off' to a complete stranger than somebody who has been 'training' you to behave and follow orders for years.

Back
Top Bottom