Diffusers? Are they....

Diffusers Legal? You decide.

• Split Diffusers are legal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split Diffusers are illegal - points stand from first two races

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
RickD said:
The judges in Paris heard evidence from both sides, with Ferrari's legal representative, Nigel Tozzi QC, describing Brawn GP team boss Ross Brawn as "a person of supreme arrogance".
This comment is one that gets me, how can Ferrari say that after all the years of winning he gave them? Do you think they are slightly bitter by any chance?

From here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 996698.stm

Simple, RickD, Ferrari try to hire all the supremely arrogant people in F1. The type of person who works for Ferrari thinks up of smart-arsed pit-lane lights systems when a simple lollipop works better...

They're just upset that they've lost this arrogant and competent bloke from their team and replaced them with arrogant and incompetent Italian blokes.

I bet the pro-diffuser teams just sent in Sir Frank, you can't argue with Sir Frank...!

A good verdict I reckon, although not totally unforeseen as our poll shows!

Although this brings an end to the diffuser controversy, at least as far as the rebel three are concerned (the remaining teams can lick their wounds), where does this episode leave the FIA and, as Brogan said, FOTA?

The FIA have again appeared incompetent, so surely the figurehead should bear responsibility for having a naff set-up at resolving disputes. Unless dragging things out for months was intentional..? Renault said they dropped following the alternative diffuser design, after being warned off by the FIA. Again a balls up by the FIA?

As far as FOTA goes, wasn't it Flav that slammed Ross Brawn about his role as FOTA rep and also all the complaining teams gave Ross a bashing? Will the teams be able to keep it together in the face of FIA machinations designed to drive a wedge between them?

So, which will come off worse, FIA or FOTA? (I almost feel another poll coming on..!)

As far as the 'not-so-magnificent seven' are concerned, it does seem that Ferrari are a way off redesigning their rear end, and like Brogan said, I'd put money on Renault and McLaren having shiny new diffusers first. (Puts crystal ball away).

And as far as Ferrari are concerned, Stefano Domenicali is quoted as saying “Unfortunately this decision forces us to intervene on fundamental areas of the car’s design in order to be able to compete" and "We will now double our efforts"*

*didn't an empire commander say that to Darth Vader about the death star? Whatever happened to that commander in the end.....? :whistle:

At Last common Sense had preveiled, To change the ruling would of made the FIA look stupid and i wouldn't of put past them to of ruled the muli layered differs illigal. but Now we all can get back to whats important, RACING! I cant wait for china.
I see an Intresting debate coming up, Will Brawn GP, Toyta etc, keep their advantage when the others make there own muti layer diffuser. Some teams could be in for a shock when they do I mean Redbull arn't looking too shabby without one. I can see some teams finding out that not having the same type of diffuser has Brawn GP+others may not be at the root of thier problems.

i think this decision will not make too much of a difference.

some teams were close anyway, even without using that specific type of diffuser. red bull and bmw for instance. and i think other things are pretty important too, like tyres. to me, its not entirely clear it really is the diffuser which gives brawn this edge.

another thing, i have had a little discussion in the other place with GM regarding macca and a potential new diffuser. i am not sure, not sure at all, a new diffuser will help macca in view of their aero dynamical issues. maybe another diffuser will even enhance these problems. here is the answer GM wrote, i do hope he will not mind me putting this comment here:

I have no idea. If the windtunnel and CFD is matching properly then it should give them some benefit.

If on the other hand they're still not accurate then it could make matters worse, yes. With the testing ban it's going to be very difficult to evaluate new developments, though straight-line testing is useful for this sort of aero work, at least.

The FIA have finally published their reasoning on declaring the diffusers legal.

INTERNATIONAL COURT OF APPEAL (I.C.A.) Decision

Interesting to see that Ferrari sent 7 people including 3 "legal representatives" and 1 "press officer" to the hearing.

The most striking statement for me was this:

57. At the hearing, Ferrari acknowledged that multiple vertical transitions had been used by many teams in the past, including Ferrari itself, and argued that all such prior uses (including its own) had constituted a technical violation of the TR which had been tolerated. However, it argued that where multiple transitions had been used at the front of the car, rather than the rear, this constituted only a minor breach which could have been easily remedied, had it been necessary to do so, without a significant detriment to performance. Ferrari contends that multiple vertical transitions at the rear of the car have not been seen before and constitute a more serious violation which should not be tolerated.

So Ferrari claimed that Brawn's design was illegal and they should be disqualified and they backed up their argument by stating that they themselves had designed illegal cars in the past which had been allowed to compete and weren't disqualified.
You couldn't make it up ROFL

Brogan said:
So Ferrari claimed that Brawn's design was illegal and they should be disqualified and they backed up their argument by stating that they themselves had designed illegal cars in the past which had been allowed to compete and weren't disqualified.
You couldn't make it up ROFL

That is a class argument. "We know the design was illegal, because we used similar tactics in the past. Ours were OK, though, because it was only a 'little' bit illegal"! If I was Ferrari, I'd hire new lawyers! Speak to this bloke >>

Wow! A really good decision by the FIA! The rules at the start of the season should be the rules in the middle of the season should be the rules at the end of the season.

Ferrari's argument was absolutely superb, and seemed to be an attempt to get themselves disqualified from several World Championship winning seasons! I loved the mud-slingling as well; what had Ferrari got against Ross Brawn, I mean the guy has never done anything for Ferrari...!

This good decision suggests that karma will lead to a stinker when McLaren turn up to the WMSC, where they're probably going to attempt to have Lewis Hamilton sentenced to death...

Back
Top Bottom