Did McLaren Jump the Gun with Pérez?

Hamberg no one commenting here has shown anything like hate towards Perez.

I hadn't even realised I'd said that. I've edited that bit.

Thanks for your input Kewee but I was qualifying my earlier statement to Jen.

No one is calling for Whitmarsh to get the chop, it stemmed from his comments about his drivers performance.

Last edited:
No it's not 100% down to Martin Whitmarsh but he's a key element of an under-performing team which has turned over most of its key personnel in the last 5 years and is going backwards. Conclusions could be drawn that the ones making the decisions might be the problem.

Which would explain why he pulled out of the GP2 test the other week.

Magnusen has a rep for very strong one lap pace (his time at the Silverstone test was good enough for 6th on the grid if it had been done in quali at the British Grand Prix). Its certainly something they don't have at the moment.

Schumacher was pretty good too.

The point I was trying to make is that Mclaren currently have two drivers who tend to under perform in quali and shine on race day which has led to them finding difficulty in understanding where they truly stand pace wise. Bringing in someone with one lap speed would be useful for the team as a whole including its second driver.

I'm not actually sure I had a point, I simply made a statement although I don't agree with the point that getting the best out of a car for a single lap will make any difference to the development of said car a car needs stability for the whole race not a single just one lap, I believe Mercedes were struggling with this problem earlier in the season great in qualy shit in racing and I'm not sure they have completely solved the problem even with one of the fastest drivers over a single lap there is in the sport..

FI is not and has never been about single lap pace as someone pointed out to me on another thread F1 is a mixture of sprint and endurance, and the sprint is most effective on a Saturday not a Sunday as Trulli proved to great effect that's why he got his nick name and that is why I mentioned him...

Last edited:
Mercedes haven't completely solved the problem but they recently jumped Ferrari to second place in the WCC which shows improvement so maybe there is value in this approach.

RasputinLives

Have to agree with that assessment although last year Hamilton was masking the real race pace of the Mclaren by qualifying higher and falling back in the race

The problem is everyone knows Button is not renowned for his 1 lap speed but a strong racer whilst Perez has not had enough clean races where he can show he can out race Button

In the past Mclaren knew they were onto potential race winners when they had Hakkinen - who outqualified Senna first race, Raikkonen who showed in 2002 his speed, Hamilton who was troubling Alonso... they;ve also had disappointments in De Cesaris - junked too many chassis , Berger - despite pole on debut he never kept up with Senna in races, Andretti - Marlboro pressure, Montoya - too unfit and a bit overweight

Perez is sadly in the second category

His dad wasn't a great qualifier either! I seem to remember that Jackie Stewart had to get Magnussen to promise to quit smoking before joining Stewart GP... However, he was almost always out qualified by that noted qualifier, Rubens Barrichello.

The Artist..... Jan put it down to not getting enough testing opportunities to know the car .. Stewart/ Jaguar always ran No1 and No2 drivers

Jan believed his own hype or his earlier success too much and thought F1 was going to be an easy progression .. he was well looked after by Stewart racing in junior racing and Mclaren/ Mercedes - DTM and testing to get him ready for F1

Back
Top Bottom