Desert Circuits are boring...

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Mike Gascoyne has committed heresy by criticising Bernie's Tilke installations in the Middle East.

...a lot of the races now that are really boring are all the purpose-designed tracks built in deserts where you could have done absolutely anything that you want.

It's pretty disappointing that you've got two massively boring races on circuits where you had literally carte blanche to do anything you liked. You could have had elevation change or moved sand wherever you want it

I can imagine Bernie is "striding" down the paddock as we speak to have a word in Mike's shell like to warn him about the error of his ways. Problem is Gascoyne is right.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/02/02/motor-racing-circuits-idUKLDE7111RK20110202

The thing is, I agree with him, Bahrain in last years configuration was awful, Singapore is shocking, Korea is too early to tell but looks promising, Abu Dhabi is uninteresting really

Mike Gascoyne has committed heresy by criticising Bernie's Tilke installations in the Middle East.

It's pretty disappointing that you've got two massively boring races on circuits where you had literally carte blanche to do anything you liked. You could have had elevation change or moved sand wherever you want it

I can imagine Bernie is "striding" down the paddock as we speak to have a word in Mike's shell like to warn him about the error of his ways. Problem is Gascoyne is right.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/02/02/motor-racing-circuits-idUKLDE7111RK20110202

Poor old MG, he's missed the point. They did do exactly what they wanted, they made purpose built air conditioned viewing platforms for the prawn sandwhich brigade, Ferrari homage centres, multi million doller hotels, leasure complex's and every luxury a sponsor could want.

What's that? A race track you say? Pah, just two hours of noise on a sunday that causes ripples in the Sultans orange juice !!

The desert tracks are indeed utter crap, but the chassis aero (post 82), tires, rev limited engines and poor driver conduct are to blame as well.
And the "historic" Spa was boring as hell (apart from '08 when it rained), ditto Silverstone, Hockehnheim, Monaco, Monza, Suzuka.
Only Canda and Australia (with more hick-ups though ) can produce good races when it doesn't rain, while China and Malaysia are rain dependent and lucky to get monsoons.

I agree with MG, huge opportunity missed.. but I don't think anybody is surprised. I do like a good prawn sandwich..

I agree with MG, huge opportunity missed.. but I don't think anybody is surprised. I do like a good prawn sandwich..

What opportunity is missed exactly ?!
Tracks have been poorly designed or redesigned since the early 70s.
I 've read old magazines in witch race-fans were complaining about the chicanes at Monza, Silverstone in the early-mid 70s and the disappearance of slipstream racing with lots of overtakings and photo finishes.

And this was long before Tilke.
The tilkedromes are the results of a long long process of evolution that started in the late 60s/ early 70s.

What opportunity is missed exactly ?!

I'm surprised (well I'm not really) that you can't work that out for yourself, and as for the rest of your post.. well..
violin.gif

Excuse me while I enjoy this lovely prawn sandwich..

I'm surprised (well I'm not really) that you can't work that out for yourself, and as for the rest of your post.. well..
violin.gif

Excuse me while I enjoy this lovely prawn sandwich..

If F1 was not run by hypocrites, arrogant self-serving individuals than you could say opportunities were missed.

But as things are it's just a case of hypocrites, arrogant self-serving individuals being hypocrites, arrogant self-serving individuals.

Only the current political and financial punctured climate is why things are finally starting to change, but at a snail pace.

MG is simply trying to find a scape goat, one that actually shares some of the blame, to make people forget about the aero, engine, tire and driver (blocking-chopping) issues.

Do you actually believe DOF_power that when he (MG) made those comments he was just thinking of a way to make people forget about things such as the areo packages and engines?

I think he's saying that the circuits are not to blame (despite the fact he's previously said they are) but that the aero, engine, tyre and blocking/chopping issues are the problem.

I'm sorry you had to walk into his self-contradictory arguments, dave!

Actually back on topic, regarding the comments from Gascoyne, I think it's a shame that many people are probably in agreement with him and in a position where their views might be considered but they will just keep quite to not look like a rebel in the eyes of Mr Ecclestone

We have got a signal that an argument might be contradictory:
984-51cf39b5d595860fe8ad26a8b6667149.jpg

If you see that next to a post, it may be problematic!

Attachments

• CTA.jpg
    CTA.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 82
There will more than likely be an ignore function in v1.1 of the software ;)

I was about to ask that question Bro.

As for the subject, good on Mike for saying what everyone else thinks. Maybe Bernie might start listening (and you should have seen the pot-bellied pig that just flew past my window)..

One more off topic comment from me regarding the software.
It is currently not officially released and was still in Beta phase until 2 weeks ago; we really are at the forefront when it comes to forum software.
Over the year you will see more and more features being added as it is developed and improved.

That's all, carry on :D

Gascoyne doesn't want to taunt Bernie into allowing Lada to call themselves Lotus, now does he?

As an aside, how many car makers will appear on that car by the end of the season?

Back
Top Bottom