Le Mans DeltaWing Racing Car to participate in Le Mans 2012

I read this earlier.And just look who's behind it.These guys are far from idiots.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92080 Created by former Lola designer Ben Bowlby, the DeltaWing features a slim nose and distinctively narrow front track, and generates the majority of its downforce via the underfloor. Working under the Project 56 Group moniker, the consortium announced today brings together the manufacturing capabilities of Dan Gurney's California-based All American Racers and Duncan Dayton's crack ALMS-winning Highcroft Racing team, with ALMS founder Don Panoz acting as a consultant.

The wave of the future? How will that thing take tight corners with such a narrow front track?

Will Gurney drive it as well? :D

So many questions.

So if radical changes to the cars such as Delta wing designs are acceptable, why not for the drivers' career ladders? Again, if the advancement in technology means 'open wheels' are possibly doomed, then surely the way is clear for major tweaks to all other areas of Formula 1?

As Keke has said, and I posted originally, the front track is too narrow for motor racing.

I just can't see how it's going to work once it's on the circuit.

Originally posted here but now split off as it's related to Le Mans: http://cliptheapex.com/threads/irl-delta-wing-plans-the-way-forward-for-f1.1149/

Believe it or not, the Delta Wing concept will apparently be racing at Le Mans next year...

I love how Ben Bowlby has a Jim Bamber cartoon stuck to his desk....

oversteer.jpg

This was in response to Gerhard Berger commenting that he fore-saw an age where there would be a racing series with no rules at all....

Tragically, this cartoon was release a few weeks before 1st May 1994.....

Great to see the ACO still embracing the spirit of innovation. I hope to see it in action at La Sarthe next year.

On the front track issue, honestly I have no idea. If they can get 300bhp and bring the car in under 500kg then it should be up with the top tier of prototypes, but in the fast corners I imagine it will be lively to say the least.

These corner well enough on a single front wheel.

So long as the passenger is still aboard:thumbsup:

How do you think it will do G, bearing in mind the radically different chassis and front track?

The main issue will be to do with preventing a tendency to roll. Anyone remember the Bond Bug? Granted the C of G will be very low but with such a long wheelbase it's got to be an issue. At the very least such a narrow front track will compromise cornering speed compared to a wider arrangement. I can foresee these things going airborne sideways as the "unloaded side" lifts through a corner with a little help from bouncing over the kerb and sudden loss of ground effect. :thinking:

So long as the passenger is still aboard:thumbsup:

The main issue will be to do with preventing a tendency to roll. Anyone remember the Bond Bug? Granted the C of G will be very low but with such a long wheelbase it's got to be an issue. At the very least such a narrow front track will compromise cornering speed compared to a wider arrangement. I can foresee these things going airborne sideways as the "unloaded side" lifts through a corner with a little help from bouncing over the kerb and sudden loss of ground effect. :thinking:

The Bond Bog was a three wheeler.Regarding an F1 sidecar outfit, and I have raced one many times they still corner well righthanded even without the passenger.Left handed corners the chair wheel will lift without the passenger.I have done countless laps without a passenger just used a sack of cement as ballast.

I am very much aware that the Bond Bug was a three wheeler as is a sidecar outfit. In my post I refer to the narrow front track so it should be clear, even if buried in my text, that I am also aware that the Delta wing car has four. The point I was trying to make is that a very much triangular configuration is likely to be inherently less stable cornering at any kind of racing pace. If that was not obvious, then I apologise.:)

I have raced one many times they still corner well righthanded even without the passenger.Left handed corners the chair wheel will lift without the passenger.I have done countless laps without a passenger just used a sack of cement as ballast.

I am also conversant with the behaviour of sidecar outfits since one of my siblings constructed and raced outfits in the 1970's

Sorry Fenderman.Bit touchy about my beloved sidecars.:cheers:
But yes, you are right.It depends a great deal on suspension geometry.I feel that the car will be very prone to understeering.
Especially with the balance figures they are quoting.

Me too. I still get irked by the lack of decent coverage given to a bona fide sport. If people think solo racers are brave they should try hanging on and moving body weight about to keep the chair on the ground with your nose an inch away from the tarmac. Personally, as far as bike racing is concerned, I think outfit crews are the bravest in the business - especially those who compete in events like the IOM TT.

Edit: Sorry, back on theme. Although I've got misgivings about the handling, I do like the radical nature of the car and the departure from the accepted norms it represents.

Ben Bowlby is being interviewed on Radio Le Mans right now. He says the Delta Wing has 23 degrees of steering lock, and could get around the Long Beach hairpin (never mind Arnage Corner).

He also says the car will comply with LMP1 safety cell dimensions and crash tests. It also, apparently, uses half the fuel of the current top LMP1 cars.

Back
Top Bottom