Le Mans DeltaWing Racing Car to participate in Le Mans 2012

I keep hoping that thay fix it up and run in the Pettite LeMans finale of the ALMS. Unfortunately, I have not heard of any plans for them to do so.

I heard that it might become the basis of the next one-make chassis for Indy Lights (or whatever that series is called now).

Which is almost what it was intended for originally. As long as it doesn't disappear I don't really mind where it turns up.

That is if they don't restrict it like Le Mans did so that it wouldn't win. That was a shame but I think they have more sense than that. I can't think of a better way to get viewers than having a Delta Wing in contention for a win.

Let's hope the DeltaWing has more luck this year ...

... but 5th place finish at Petit le Mans after the practise set back was not bad at all.

Interesting video Fenderman, it looks like the shape of the car makes it more dangerous if the car goes on it's side as there's no side protection. Bit disturbing.

Indeed FB . I vaguely recall posting some time ago that I thought it would be vulnerable to tipping over, although I wasn't thinking of it having a helping nudge at the time. That sure looked a bit easy though, didn't it?

To me, the most frightening thing is that, in that incident as well as Le Mans, the car was hit by another car whose driver had their head up their arse. Maybe the Deltawing will be required to run with a flashing light bar on it so the oblivious clowns around it will be aware that it is there!

I wonder if the small frontal area of the DeltaWing makes it harder to see in the mirrors and that the side lights on the rear bodywork may give the impression that it is further behind than it really is. It's hard to tell for sure though, as the car that caused the crash at Atlanta was recovering from a minor off track excursion. In that incident the driver probably didn't check his mirror anyway.

http://www.deltawingracing.com/images/nissan-deltawing-petit-le-mans-race-gallery-2/

http://www.deltawingracing.com/picture/2012-10-20 at 17-28-25.jpg?pictureId=16634179

For the race itself, the mirrors and the tops of the roll-over bars were painted fluorescent orange, which they weren't for practice (when the accident occurred). Maybe that helped, as the car made it through the race unscathed.

In fairness to the drivers that ran into the Delta at both venues, I would imagine that the car being painted black doesn't help make it visible.

From Autosport, here is the new Deltawing livery. Maybe NOW the other drivers will see it!

1362418259.jpg

I still can't get my head around how it can corner and handle without being unstable.
The front track just seems way too narrow.

It is certainly a step on from his humble beginnings in British club motorsports. His first dabble in racing cars consisted of introducing an aluminium monocoque based car to a series predominantly run with spaceframe cars, built by Richard Mallock (Rays Brother) and had limited success, but he was a nice chap, if a little bit peculiar, and as he raced it himself, it had limited success. The delta wing is an engineering and design success though. Looks better than this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghand_39/7148777033/

Back
Top Bottom