Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

Scrub my last, it appears he's taken a gamble on Renault coming good next season or at least better than the Honda powered RBR's.

Interesting move and not quite so dramatic an effect on the transfer market.

It sounds like it could be Sainz to McLaren. If Vandoorne goes it will be a shame as it seems that he could be getting his mojo back.

I think it'll be Gasly at Red Bull for three reasons:

1 - Red Bull won't risk the Sainz/Verstappen clash again

2 - He has experience with Honda engines

3 - Sainz buddy Alonso will talk him into going to McLaren.

A bold move on Ricciardo's part.
He confidently beat both Vettel and Verstappen in the same team.
But under this he from this team moves away.
It will be interesting to see how his future career will develop.
Good luck to him

Last edited:
It's a works team, seems like a good choice and although the Honda engines have improved a bit this season their is no indication that it's a race winner yet.

I think it is a good move, as he was clearly going to be the defacto #2 @ RB.

I will be curious to see how Max fares next season, as I have suspicions about his ability to set up a car.

The 1 bloody day i didnt have internet as ran out of data on final day of holiday & skegness dont seem to think wifi exists. The biggest story so far of the season breaks. Absoultely typical. :facepalm:

But absolutely huge news never saw this coming when I found out last night especially to Renault. i assumed Riccardio would stay at red bull because merc was closed & leclerc/kimi at ferrari. But its a gamble i hope it pays off more Lewis to mercedes than Alonso numerous moves. because i love Riccardio & a brilliant driver. Problem is well discussed gulf between LMP1 mercedes ferrari red bull & LMP2 rest of the field. Then its the reverberations down the grid. Ocon was 'nailed on' at renault according to a few f1 paddock people.
  • Does sainz replace, despite getting constantly beaten by hulkenburg. So much they replaced him after 1 season. With the 3rd driver
  • Is gasly good enough
  • Will for 1st time ever get someone outside of the driver academy
  • does lando norris help get James key gardening leave reduced
  • & last months F1 racing hasnt aged well
IMG_20180804_201102.jpg

Last edited:
The swerve I did not see see coming but having analysed it and looking at everything , the correct move. He does not feel he is getting the same credit at Red Bull and also the wages as well. He is also looked at Renault's long term potential and taking a punt - the history tells you Renault will get it

Both Sainz and Ocon will be anxious about where their future lies although judging by Mclaren's admission - he is high on their list it seems he will get one of the two seats

Well, he's a brave man - or he knows something we don't. Renault may be a works team but they're spending a fraction of what the top three are - and they don't have Newey.

He might not even beat Hulk, you know.

If the Honda is as dismal as it has been up until now, RB might finish behind the likes of FI, Renault, and maybe even McLaren next season. Then his choice would appear to have been a stroke of genius.

That caption the other week about "Spending a lot of money and the engine keeps breaking down " by Horner or verstappen could easily mean the Honda engine next seaon

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I am with Dan.
  • I'm annoyed that he's committed career suicide
  • I'm annoyed that he's made future races less exciting than they might have been (a stunning late braking move on Grosjean's Haas doesn't excite me)
  • I'm annoyed that he didn't learn the Rosberg lesson (and Max is easier to beat than Lewis)
  • I'm annoyed that he'd rather be king of the hill than try to scale the mountain
  • I'm annoyed that Red Bull will now have a clear 1-2 driver combination, like the other top teams
I like him and he's one of the most entertaining guys out there - as well as one of the quickest - which makes it all the more...annoying.

I like Danny Ric, but only for his driving. I find his cheery affable personality a bit dull, because I can’t remember ever being genuinely interested or surprised at anything he’s said. Some of his comments are just inane.

He knows he can’t keep up with Max, and failed to get a seat at Merc or Ferrari. He’s taken a chance and good luck to him. We’ve seen Lewis make a questionable move to Mercedes, and that went ok. Renault aren’t Mercedes but they may get there eventually.

But, he doesn't need to keep up with Max, if Max keeps making mistakes. That's the frustration: Verstappen is clearly still a work in progress, so no need to throw in the towel.

Renault may get there, if a budget cap comes in, and they bring back tyre wars, and they get an exclusive deal with Michelin. Until then...:givemestrength:

Max will only get better and Ricciardo has perhaps peaked - likely it won’t get better for him at Red Bull. May as well throw the dice.

Back
Top Bottom