Current Daniel Ricciardo

I noticed young Daniel didn't have his own thread so thought I'd give him on as sure he'll be around for a good few years.

Born in 1989 (that makes him 22 before you do the maths) this aussie started karting at the age of 9 and in 2005 entered the Western Australian Formula Ford Championship as a privateer driving a car that was 15 years old at the time and managed to finish 8th. He won a scholarship to compete in Formula BMW Asia the following year. As we all know he eventually became involved in the Red Bull young driver programme after winning the British Formula 3 championship in 2009.

Became Red Bull's test driver and has now stepped up to drive for HRT. Has been really hyped as the next big thing by the Red Bull team and the press. Eddie Jordan described him as a future world champion before he'd even done his first Grand Prix. The truth is though he has not set the world alight at HRT. How can one set the world alight at HRT I hear you ask to which I say - good point! Although he has beaten Liuzzi twice already in the races I believe he needs to get on top of him in quali too. Also he's being beaten by quite a way in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series by both Robert Wickens and Jean-Eric Vergne.

So Ricciardo - future number 1 or going going gone?

Ricciardo being on top is the blip, not the other way round. If Max continues to mess up then that will change, but don’t get too excited yet.

Ricciardo’s race craft and overtaking isn’t in doubt, but his raw speed isn’t quite there I think. Hence he will capitalise on others’ mistakes, occasionally win from outside the top three, and show his class that way.

But, I don’t think you can learn raw speed, whereas you can learn race craft and patience. In time his star will fade and he can drink shoeys of prosecco from his pretend podium in his Sydney back garden. I may be wrong.

RasputinLives After 1 race suddenly Ricciardo finds himself at the top of the most wanted list

Its strange how things can turn quickly in F1 but Hamilton has not signed a contract and his head dropped from Saturday. He spent the race moaning about being on the wrong tyres. People say he will come back strong but right now he has lost his mojo from qualifying on pole in Melbourne

Ricciardo is suddenly holding all the cards in the drivers market which has coincided with Hamilton's supposedly dip in from... he has not won in 6 races and beaten by Bottas in 5 of them and being outqualified 5 times. Suddenly everyone is questioning Hamilton's motivation and desire.

If Ricciardo thought he won the lottery when he got promoted to Red Bull in 2014, his potential move to Mercedes could strike him gold or even better immortality

Hamilton often has period where his head goes down. I'm sure by the time we reach Canada he'll be back on form and then have another dip at the end of the year that's the usual way.

As for all this Danny Ric connected to Ferrari stuff. It confuses me. Ferrari never employed a driver that could compete with Schumacher, they never employed a driver who could compete with Alonso, so why should they change a 20 year policy and employ one that can compete with Vettel just as they are coming back to the top of the pile? Ferrari always have a team leader. It's their way and I doubt its going to change anytime soon.

Now Ricciardo verses Hamilton at Merc would be a fun one. I think Hamilton is the quicker driver but I image Ricciardo would have that Button like ability of getting the team behind him.

In reality though I'm pretty sure Red Bull are not going to let Danny go anywhere at the moment because all elements are playing into his hands. He has hit form, Max is having a wobble just when he is meant to be maturing and Carlos Sainz is having his bum handed to him by Hulkenberg. This might all change as the season goes on but it's an exceptionally good time for him to be at the negotiation table and I image they'll pay him a shit load to stay.

A move to Merc for 2019, given the lack of regulation changes next year and the shrinking gap between the front teams, could be Danny's best chance of winning the title.

I might be completely wrong in this but we all know F1 goes in cycles & id be wary of going to Mercedes just as they coming down the other side. would it be better to go to Ferrari who look like they are on the up

If Vettel fails this year to land the title then there will be calls to pass on the baton to someone else at Ferrari within the internal politics at Maranello

Certainly Ricciardo has made it clear he will race to be world champion and not No 2. Whether Vettel has so much influence to decide his teammate or remains to be seen how Marchionne backs him in public. Vettel made it references to both LeClerc and Giovinazzi but neither have impressed enough to be promoted at this point

Last week we just saw how immature Verstappen still is and it appears even Helmut and his Dad told him he needs to grow up publicly. So suddenly Ricciardo is suddenly the go to guy in the team to bring the results

I think we should actually look at the Red Bull driver situation because after one race Gasly was being talked off jumping ahead of Sainz in the guy until he was dropped back down to earth failing to get out of Q1 and crashed into Hartley as well. Sainz - I thought the Renault move was good for him but after the first race where he impressed , he has been outraced and outperformed by Hulkenberg.

Unless you know you can beat him....
Going off one season in which Vettel has several technical faults especially at the beginning of the season.

Hill beat Villeneuve, Villeneuve beat Frentzen and Frentzen beat Hill.
Hill>Villeneuve>Frentzen>Hill

Ricciardo has also been beaten by Kvyat, so where does that leave him?

Whether the race was dull or not you really can't fault Danny Ric this weekend. Fastest in everything and won the race in a busted car. Missed fastest lap but that's not surprising. Never seen him lead or control a race from the front before and he has certainly gone up in my estimation.

Whoever thought Ricciardo was not as good as Verstappen needs to take note. His stock has gone up and the big 3 teams if they are serious about signing him I think they had better draw out their offers quickly

Daniel showed why Red Bull need him but he does not necessarily need Red Bull

He's gone.

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.20.22.png

Wow, Did not see that coming. Where's he off to then?? Can only be Ferrari can't it? Vettel won't be pleased with that one.

Mr Cat meet Mr Pigeons.

That's going to blow open the silly season market !!

Back
Top Bottom