Music Cover Versions

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
I currently killing 10 minutes before I have to meet with one of my apprentices and I'm listening to some tunes.

As I listen to a fantastic cover of Born to Run recorded by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, I started to wonder what other great covers are out there.

To record a great cover I feel a band / artist has to do enough to make the song theirs but not too much to destroy the original song.

So what are your favourite covers?

Olivier

Race Winner
Nothing Compares 2 U. I didn't quite like the original version even though it was a massive hit. But this version, boy my mind explodes. There's a catch though. Prince wrote the song for Sinéad O'Connor, so it's a "reverse cover" if you will.

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
I've just been thinking. Let's open this up a bit more to include really good (but far less well known) original versions of songs that are less famous than their cover version.

Here's an example of what I mean. Police on my back is one of my favourite Clash songs. Turns out it was a cover and this is the (and every bit as brilliant) original. Who knew?

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Travis does Britney, in the cover version sense...

I think Bruce Springstein wrote this but Patti Smith had the hit

I think I prefer Billy Braggs' original but Kirsty MacColl gave it a good go

cider_and_toast

Staff member
Premium Contributor
Kirsty's version is good but it's always awkward when a lady sings a song that's clearly supposed to be sung by a man about a lady.

Andyoak

Race Winner
At the risk of turning into a Britney (where are you Niko) covers thread...

The original Britney cover :)

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
I know it's not strictly the correct thread, but I don't care!

I love the song so much, that I'm pretending it's a cover version... :love:

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
At the risk of turning this into the Billy Bragg thread this is one of my favorites from 'Brand New Boots and Panties' the Ian Dury tribute album.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Some of you may know I'm no great fan of the Beatles but Otis Redding made this song listenable to.

Top Bottom