Technical Can we talk about the Halo?

F1's Halo Device?

• Total voters
Am I going a bit off topic?

Yes but it's better than dwelling on the Halo.

Steve Martin was very much of his time. The famous Saturday Night Live team.

In most of his films it's "Steve Martin plays Steve Martin in......"

I expect if I watched any of them now I'd be asking the same question as Mr Pennis did.

dont like the halo, looks awful & reduces visibilty. either go fully closed/covered or nothing at all, no half measures, also its ridiculous Crofty during Fp1 was reading various fia reports and i found that the 2 biggest f1 accidents in the last decade at race weekend + alonso crash 2015 wouldve made no effect because beanchi wouldve still passed away, Massa wouldve still got hit & it wouldve hindered Alonsos escape in Australia. also as Will buxton mentioned on twitter "I see the FIA has increased min cockpit evac time to compensate for Halo. Guessing it has also asked fire to burn a bit slower too"

i liked Justin Wilson followed his entire career being local to me and I was devastated when he died but saying that halo wouldve save his life isnt relevant because that is indycar not f1 & we cant start implementing things because they have happened in other series. rugby players dont wear helmets because American footballers do

Last edited:
The FIA says it could reduce the thickness of the Halo device in order to see "how much we can push it" before it is introduced in Formula 1 next year.

FIA ready to push design limits as Halo returns

If they make the halo nice and thin with a really thin sharp metal leading edge I'm sure that would be much better. Nice low profile. I can't see any way that would back fire.

giphy-downsized.gif

Last edited:
Someone mocked up some alternative designs for the Halo, one of which included a bar running lengthways over the top of the drivers head. Looked great, absolute bastard for the driver to get out of the car unless he split himself in two though.

Credit to the drivers next season. There is no way I could drive a car with an inch wide black stripe in the middle of my eye line. I'd go crackers.

No, we cannot talk about the halo!!!
Seeing and thinking of it makes me sick!!!

Glad GP3 isn't getting it, I'll move to that series for next season. :D

Think it would look marginally better if the bars either side of the drivers head were horizontal rather than sloping downwards. However it looks even better with my eyes shut.

It'll be worth it so they can drive without helmets, that'll be cool.

What? They still have to wear helmets?? Then it's bloody awful horrid disgusting stupid.

Tiresome and Unsightly tyRe Deflector?

Edited as the joke didn't work!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom