Bye Bye Melbourne

Before spending such a huge amount for a circuit, they better get a long-term agreement locked in or Bernie (curse him) will charge them a $100M annual fee to stage the event!

It's variety I want, I give Tilke stick (whole logs after some races) but he has some successes, but why give the same guy the reigns for every new track? What is it about Tilke that means it must be him for every new track?

*waits for someone to bring up some sort of "legally binding contract"*

... but why give the same guy the reigns for every new track? What is it about Tilke that means it must be him for every new track?

What is Bernie's usual motivation for anything? I don't have any information on anything, but I can't see BCE being so entirely devoted to one company without that company somehow enbiggening Bernie's bank balance. Accoring to Joe Saward there is nothing explicit (i.e. neither Bernie nor his companies seem to be shareholders in Tilke's company), but you still have to wonder...

Probably the only 'certified' track designer available

Cobblers, there are plenty of other good designers out there. For example, one of the most applauded new tracks of the last 10 years is Portimao in Portugal, which was designed by Ricardo Pina. It's to F1 standards, and everyone I have talked to seems to think it's a great racing circuit in the truest sense of the term.

Back
Top Bottom