Brazil tactics

What do people think teams are going to do in Brazil?
I’m wondering if rather than the usual 2 stops and everyone pits on more or less the same lap and everyone uses the least favorite tire at the end, they might try something different.
Ferrari effectively have to go for race pace on both cars, doesn’t matter which get’s pole as we know Raikkonen is a team player and will do “what’s expected”.
But are McLaren going to do something different to get HK up at the front?

My money is on (and this is strictly as an arm chair team boss and strategist) Hamilton being fueled light.
Hamilton doesn’t need to win the race but what he does need is to stay out of trouble in turns 1, 2 and possibly 3 onto the first straight.
Turn 1 is always tight and someone always goes off.
Turn 2 is usually the point at which any driver who went of rejoins, possibly causing the odd collision.
So, if Hamilton is light at the start he should pull enough of a gap off the line to get through this section relatively easily and then after the first round of pit stops slot in just behind the Ferrari’s where he can turn the engine down (avoiding resetting the gearbox) and run to the end.

Agree on the first few turns.
If Hamilton can avoid any issues for the first half of the lap, barring any mechanical issues he should comfortably finish in the top 5.

I would say the risk is the same though whether on pole or further back as any one of the drivers could cause an incident, whether that driver is in front or behind.

That being the case I would fuel Hamilton normally.
His qualifying pace has been good enough for 7 poles this year so there is little point in doing anything different.
At most I would put 1 lap less fuel in.

Heikki though I would fuel a bit lighter as he needs to be on the 1st or 2nd row of the grid.
Any further back and he won't be able to provide the support that Hamilton needs.

Brogan said:
That being the case I would fuel Hamilton normally.
His qualifying pace has been good enough for 7 poles this year so there is little point in doing anything different.
At most I would put 1 lap less fuel in.

Heikki though I would fuel a bit lighter as he needs to be on the 1st or 2nd row of the grid.
Any further back and he won't be able to provide the support that Hamilton needs.

Totally agree if it ain't broke don't fix it

I think the Ferraris will be in the mix too but to be honest I don't want to think about it too much or I will be a nervous wreck come the race :nah:

I'm thinking that McLaren will fuel Lewis normally, as Brogan suggested - he has appeared comfortable with that in most quali's anyway.
I have a feeling Kovy will be fuelled light as a guaranteed buffer/barrier to the Ferraris, regardless of where Lewis qualifies.

after the interview with louise i'm not sure if heikkie will be bothered playing rear gunner. if he is fed up and complaining about lewis getting more equal treatment maybe he'll take the viewpoint that lewis is good enough all by himself to win the wdc and doesn't need his (heikkie's) help, personally i can see his point but even he must have known he was going to macca to play second fiddle. bit late now to complain about it :givemestrength:

Which interview would that be?
Every comment I've seen from Heikki confirms he is happy at McLaren and he is getting equal treatment.

If you have proof showing otherwise then please post the link as these constant baseless accusations against McLaren are becoming tiresome

Well if your an Alonso fan then it is in ones interest to perpetuate a nice fairy story that there is better treatment for lewis over kovy otherwise the 'lewis didnt beat alonso fair and square' 'theory' doesnt hold much water.

In terms of the actual competitors this season, i think they will probably fuel kovy light, however, as he doesnt have the raw pace i cant see him hitting the first row with massa's previous form, and the fact that lewis & kimi can out qualify kovy with heavier cars usually. if he does pull his finger out then i can see a massa, lewis, kovy, kimi front two rows with lewis keeping his distance from massa. I put kimi as 4th as i dont think he has any intention of helping massa if he doesnt have to, best way to do that is to stay out of it by not fully commiting in the qualifying.

Then lewis should cruise in 2nd and enjoy the view of the hapless wonder going off into the distance.

Brogan said:
Every comment I've seen from Heikki confirms he is happy at McLaren and he is getting equal treatment.

If you have proof showing otherwise then please post the link as these constant baseless accusations against McLaren are becoming tiresome

you're not being very fair it has nothing to do with being an alonso fan at all, i just browse around and try to keep an open mind but if you saw the interview with louise surely you must agree that heikkie look seriously miffed

http://forums.itv.com/thread/774075.aspx
http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/a ... /view.html

buxted-plump said:
Brogan said:

you're not being very fair it has nothing to do with being an alonso fan at all,
I never mentioned Alonso :s
As for being fair, if you didn't post unsubstantiated claims then I wouldn't challenge them.

i just browse around and try to keep an open mind but if you saw the interview with louise surely you must agree that heikkie look seriously miffed

http://forums.itv.com/thread/774075.aspx
http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/a ... /view.html
You keep mentioning the interview with Louise and then you link to a thread on the ITV forum and an article on UpdateF1 about an alleged item in a "major Singaporean broadsheet" with no references, quotes or facts to back up either article.

I read the interview with Louise Goodman and the only thing Heikki is unhappy with is his own performance.
Read it for yourself here: http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Louise_Goodman

Again, I have yet to see an attributable quote from Heikki saying he is unhappy with the team or that he is receving unfair treatment.
Until I do or there is proof of bias, we are just seeing the same as last year which is Hamilton beating his team-mate and some people unable to accept it.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be about the last race at Brazil, not alleged favouritisim in McLaren.

In my opinion, the point of Kovalainen is not at the moment to disrupt the Ferraris, that could just put a car between Hamilton and Massa, which I can't see as suiting McLaren at all.

All McLaren need to do is ensure Hamilton is ahead of Kovalainen (surely the easiest strategy call ever) and ensure Hamilton is infront of all but the Ferraris. Basically, its Ferrari who're in trouble strategy wise, and I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get Raikkonen to mess up Hamilton's strategy whilst Massa shoots off into the Sao Paulo sun!

And the most telling strategy call is: Does Ron Dennis organise a McLaren team-wide rain dance on Sunday morning? Every little helps!

Back
Top Bottom