Bernie backs the wrong horse.

sportsman

Sidecar racers have the biggest cojones
Contributor
Bernie is not a happy man.He backed Todt for the FIA presidents job assuming that Todt would follow the same path as Max.
It would appear that Todt has his own ideas which Bernie doesn't like.
It should be remembered that the 1600cc engine was actually Max's idea for his proposed World engine.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90140
Ecclestone's comments come against a background of increasing friction between the FIA and Formula One Management on certain issues.
This week Todt lent his public support to Melbourne as a host venue for the Australian Grand Prix, telling The Age newspaper: "For me, as the president of the FIA, there is a contract between the promoter of F1 championship and the promoter of GP and for me the Melbourne GP is a healthy and great event when you see the enthusiasm of fans coming from all over the world.
''We should enjoy the magnificence of this international event for the F1 calendar and Australia. The race is not leaving Melbourne, I will not speculate. They have been doing a great job, so let's encourage them to keep on doing a great job.''

I love Bernie's comment "It is probably good for the FIA but we don't need it in Formula 1"

To which my mind replies "No shit Sherlock!"

So - Jean Todt is doing his job rather than being a puppet - what is he thinking!

I agree with Keke, although it probably also is worth pointing out that the Police are not the Governing body....

The problem with Ecclestone is he gets on very well with people that agree fully with him, and thats it.

......and those that make money with him. I'm sure there has been hundreds if not thousands of people that have fully disagreed with Bernie on a litany of decisions, but as long as their bank accounts are the beneficiary they can put on a happy face and walk lock-step with the diminutive one.

A number of things seem to have been turning against Mr. E of late. If we can take his comments at face value, and the relationship between FOM and FIA is not as strong as it was under Mosley, then actually that places considerable power in the hands of the teams (read: FOTA) when it comes to determining the longer-term issues facing the sport.

Anyone would think there was a Concorde Agreement coming up for renewal...

An instance of "late onset dementia" perhap?

If "Jean Todt is a poor man's Max", then thank God for the poor man

......and those that make money with him. I'm sure there has been hundreds if not thousands of people that have fully disagreed with Bernie on a litany of decisions, but as long as their bank accounts are the beneficiary they can put on a happy face and walk lock-step with the diminutive one.

This is what pisses me off....

"In the case of Melbourne, if the product is too expensive for them, ........

If it's a product then he's the pusher.

He really is an odious little goiter.

A number of things seem to have been turning against Mr. E of late. If we can take his comments at face value, and the relationship between FOM and FIA is not as strong as it was under Mosley, then actually that places considerable power in the hands of the teams (read: FOTA) when it comes to determining the longer-term issues facing the sport.

Anyone would think there was a Concorde Agreement coming up for renewal...

Nail/head Galahad.You are exactly right.
Bernie lost a lot of his power with the advent of FOTA whose first act was to reveal their FOA contracts and immediately it became apparent that each of them had very different contract conditions.
Montezelmo of Ferrari was the president of FOTA at that time and this was his idea.
Now all the teams have the same contract conditions and Bernie's under the table deals have virtually been eliminated.
Bernie can no longer rely on Todt to back him up in the same way as Max did.
This is Bernie's sudden realisation that his powers are diminishing.

This is the bit that I particularly enjoyed.

"It should be like the police – the police don't write the rules and say you've got to do 30 miles an hour. The FIA is a joke

No, the government [the FIA] write the laws and agents appointed by the government ("the police") [the Stewards] enforce the rules.

What does not happen is a panel of Jeremy Clarkson, the CEO of Jaguar and Lewis Hamilton write the road traffic laws.

Essentially, the point is that Bernie only has any power by consent. FOM can trademark what they like, but if the FIA and FOTA head off and start their own racing series then Bernie's high and dry, with CVC repossessing his house. And, most spectacularly, its totally legal since the FIA are the governing body!

The more Bernie squirms, the more enjoyable for everyone.

Not quite.The concord agreement is a tripartite contract between the teams, the FIA and FOM.
That restricts the FIA and FOTA from doing that.
FOM has a contract with the FIA for the commercial rights to F1 for the next 100 years.

FOTA could form their own series as soon as the present concord agreement expires which I believe is at the end of the 2012 season.

Not quite.The concord agreement is a tripartite contract between the teams, the FIA and FOM.
That restricts the FIA and FOTA from doing that.
FOM has a contract with the FIA for the commercial rights to F1 for the next 100 years.

FOTA could form their own series as soon as the present concord agreement expires which I believe is at the end of the 2012 season.

Aye, there is a tripartite agreement, and the FOM have a contract for 100 years.

But the FIA and FOTA can call their series something subtly different: i.e. Form One.

Essentially, Bernie's position is far stronger than it should be because he doesn't bring anything to the party. His lot are essentially a quango!

He can sue whoever he likes. He is not necessary when push comes to shove!

Essentially, the point is that Bernie only has any power by consent. FOM can trademark what they like, but if the FIA and FOTA head off and start their own racing series then Bernie's high and dry, with CVC repossessing his house. And, most spectacularly, its totally legal since the FIA are the governing body!.

And you know what, they could call it Formula One, F1, Formula 1, or whatever they liked as well. The only jurisdiction in the world that has actually granted FOM a trademark on the term Formula One is China, despite him insisting that everyone use the silly little ™ symbols all over the place. The British courts have actually decreed that Formula One is the generic term for a class of racing car administered by the FIA, it certainly isn't Bernie's to profit from.

FOTA could organise and should have done so and do not need the FIA.
Formula One is a trademark.
F1 is not a trademark.
FOTA could write their own rules.Organise the races and police them themselves.
The FOTA teams marketing departments are easily capable of doing that and arranging for TV coverage and trackside advertising etc to bring in revenue.
That is what they should done before.

EDIT Sorry Pyrope.Just seen your post.We are in agreement.

Time for a revolution methinks! Lets fly the motorsport revolution flag:

Motorsport Revolution Flag.jpg

Bernie would't allow that.He would bring in mercenaries armed with AK 47's and probably some Cruise missiles from his buddies in Russia.
I have a Remington 308 rifle I use for boar hunting.

Back
Top Bottom