Formula E Beijing ePrix Race Discussion

Scores out of 10 for the 1st ePrix

• Total voters
Prost gets 10-place grid penalty for the next round, and admits causing the crash- doesn't help Heidfeld though!

Apparently Chandhock suffered an overheating battery in the final lap, which was why Bird benefited from Abt's demotion, as he'd passed him as Karun slowed.

Actually what was the top speed? I saw on the graphics one car get up to 100kph which is about 55mph surely they must go faster than that. I had a moped that could do that back in the day...

Actually what was the top speed? I saw on the graphics one car get up to 100kph which is about 55mph surely they must go faster than that. I had a moped that could do that back in the day...
I think they were hitting almost 170 km/h in one section of the race. The course was dreadful but I think these cars will be interesting to watch race around some better city courses. I would like to see them at Monaco

I live in a very narrow cul-de-sac, and we have a milkman who delivers milk to the few remaining house who get it delivered at some ungodly hour in the morning (2am or so) and comes steaming down the road, and reverses at top speed too. I suggest to increase the speed & spectacle, load the cars up with lots of jingly milk bottles, and maybe have a section where they need to drive in reverse. Change the fan vote away from temporary power boost to big order for gold top.

The maximum speed is 225km/h in race mode which is 150mph. The circuit they were on did them no favours and the pointless warm up lap even less.

They were all going so slow on the warm up lap because they were saving battery power for the race and thanks to the tyres and electric systems they don't need to warm anything up anyway so the entire lap was a pointless exercise other than to make people think "how slow?".

The one thing that is impressive about these cars is how quick they are off the line so if they'd kicked off with that it might have been better for their viewing figures.

Last edited:
I hope this series is allowed to develop over time because to make it truly competitive as a top series I personally think they'd need more like 400bhp and to be racing on proper circuits, as well as bringing in some major manufacturers if they can. And without a car change eventually.

If electric Motorsport is going to take off it needs a series focused on development. A 200bhp spec series isn't going to cut it. I know the Formula E regulations will be more relaxed after next year so I hope there's scope for serious progress.

Let's not forget that F1 will have to be using this technology (or maybe fuel cells or some other alternative technology) eventually...

Last edited:
Audi won the first race, BMW and Renault sponsor it and this years cars were jointly built by Williams and Mclaren so I think its on the manufacturers list of things to possibly do depending on how the series develops. I would be very surprised not to see Honda take an interest and would suggest they already have a way in with Amlin Aguri who have worked closely with Honda in the past.

I agree it needs to be a free for all on the development and teams are already working on wireless charging for next year. To be honest I think this year was always seen as a 'test' year to work out how the series is going to work. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some of the regs aren't changed in the 10 week gap between races (warm up lap and 'minimum pit stop time' can be ditched for a start).

I think the car change idea and all races in city centres to make it more accessible to the fans were great concepts but they didn't play out in practice. The street circuit thing might work if they had someone design the lay outs based on the strengths and weaknesses of these cars (fast approaches and big braking zones please) which, you never know, they might have done better for the other tracks but circuits might work well. I think they are avoiding well known tracks though as it might highlight the speed difference.

Overall it looks like these cars could breed exciting racing in the right circumstances and I think we're all interested to see how far they can push the tech. It is only round one after all so hopefully the organisers will listen to what people are saying and gear it towards that more.

Last edited:
The last corner collision certainly helped it make some new outlets who normally wouldn't cover motor sport. Luckily no one was hurt and it was quite spectacular so any publicity is good publicity.

I initially thought these cars would be housing 400bhp electric power units, was a bit disappointed to hear it was only 200bhp.
The pitstops were a bit weird to see, drivers waiting in the garage to continue racing, takes a bit away from the racing aspect. Now this was for only one race?

A more open regulation about the car spec would be great to see. Good thing it's opening up for next year.

And am glad I didn't hear any of the music some are complaining off.

There is a minimum time but that doesn't mean all the pitstops were the same time. Some were longer. I think they showed the times at one point.

Definitely worth a read. Sums up pretty much everything about the series and I have to agree with all his comments. It's far from perfect but it was the first ever event of its kind and he is right it will eventually become the future of racing.

Back
Top Bottom