BBC TV pulls out of F1

Johnny Carwash

Sport is expensive, and can't easily be re-sold.

In the 1980s and 1990s, the BBC were able to sell parts of their coverage to other markets, and make money out of F1 (Murray would commentate around the world). Bernie has now wrapped things up so the only way of anyone making money out of F1 is by having the name "Bernard Charles Ecclestone"!

For £20million per year, the BBC could make two series of Dr Who, say, and sell those around the world for licensing in excess of the cost of production!

Last edited:
Considring the BBC will continue to receive £4.5bn each and every year (including around £1bn BBC Worldwide income for selling programmes to the licence fee payer that they've already paid for), £35m total savings in sport seems like chump change to me.

Last edited:
The BBC is a joke. I know it's tough competing with the likes of Sky, but if they had less "presenters" on Mega-Wonga, maybe they could afford it. The TV licence is a bit like Council Tax. You have to pay it, but get less and less for it.

I hate to say it, I got Sky just for the F1. Now, I have Motors TV, which is mostly poor, but you do get the V8 Supercars, which is just brilliant racing. Also, Eurosport show Le Mans live. Having said that, my box is now full of Dance Moms, Mythbusters, The Curse of Oak Island, and now Hunting Hitler! Kids, eh! I was down to 3% a couple of days ago......

On the plus side, those without Sky, will get every race, even with the advertising that has to be a plus, and, I think that ITV will be very careful when they show their adverts, they won't want to look bad when compared to Sky.

I imagine that his Saturday middays on BT will put paid to his participation, but again I don't think he'd be too much of an irritant in comparison to others.

Back
Top Bottom