BBC TV pulls out of F1

Not surprising, but ending immediately. Guess it was an inevitable extension of its sharing with SKY.

BBC to end Formula 1 television contract early - BBC News

The decision has probably been made slightly easier following the last few seasons. I've always relied on the terrestrial broadcasters to give me my F1 fix, so pay to upgrade my sky or give up on the sport? Its not as clear cut as it would be a few years ago.

Last edited:
All I can say is thank goodness it's Channel 4 who have taken on the broadcasting, as opposed to ITV.... (or Channel 5!?!) - C4 have apparently committed to showing races complete, without advert breaks...

Last edited:
a few weeks ago i thought it was going to be channel 4, then was it telegraph?? who said itv had stole it from underneath the noses of channel 4 was that a diversion to stop people getting to the truth so channel 4 could seal it in secret very weird

Well thats out of the blue. Channel 4. Random.

Well lets hope they can do something decent with it. They do after all have a good track record for quality shows like 'Big brother' 'Come dine with me' 'Deal or no deal' and 'Embarassing bodies' :whistle:

Well thats out of the blue. Channel 4. Random.
Well lets hope they can do something decent with it. They do after all have a good track record for quality shows like 'Big brother' 'Come dine with me' 'Deal or no deal' and 'Embarassing bodies' :whistle:
Maybe it's a straight swap, with BBC taking over all those C4 programmes and combining them into one show!
"Embarassing Big Siblings Dine or Not Dine with Noel Edmonds" ROFL

BE said: "I am confident that Channel 4 will achieve not only how the BBC carried out the broadcast in the past but also with a new approach as the World and Formula 1 have moved on."

Yuh, Whatever you hateful troll.

Being commercial the whole show will of course have a headline sponsor. So what do we think?

F1 brought to you by Pro Plus Caffine Tablets, you'll need them!

Sponsored by Comfort Vaporesse, should appeal to at least one member of the forum....

It will be interesting to see what happens, as I am reasonably confident that they will do a good job, with being a commercial channel they will need to do enough to attract significant advertising revenue.

How does this affect SKY? The Sky broadcast was done through a deal with the BBC and not with FOM direct. Has this deal carried across to C4 or are C4 taking all races themselves?

Sky offcially picked up the contract with Bernie last year with a deal allowing some coverage for terristial TV. So the answer is not one jot.

Back
Top Bottom