Barcelona and Valencia to host Grands Prix on alternate years from 2013

I really don't think that one country should host more than one grand prix. This feeling is compounded if the tracks are not conducive of great racing.

This will open up a spot for Russia which is a good thing. Is this the end of the European Grand Prix?

Here is a list of the European Grand Prix venues if we go down to one GP in Spain:

-Britain
-Germany
-Italy
-Monaco
-Spain
-Hungary
-Belgium

This may be enough for Bernie as he looks to expand the global influence. Will one of these become the European GP or will it be scrapped all together?

There were at least 2 memorable races at Jerez I grant you (1986 and 1997 - though the latter was only made tense by the title situation). Which is, perhaps, one more memorable race than Catalunya has managed I suppose.

I was thinking Mansell/Senna wheel to wheel in 91 actually! That must make it 3!

I really don't think that one country should host more than one grand prix. This feeling is compounded if the tracks are not conducive of great racing.

This will open up a spot for Russia which is a good thing. Is this the end of the European Grand Prix?

Here is a list of the European Grand Prix venues if we go down to one GP in Spain:

-Britain
-Germany
-Italy
-Monaco
-Spain
-Hungary
-Belgium

This may be enough for Bernie as he looks to expand the global influence. Will one of these become the European GP or will it be scrapped all together?

I imagine that Valencia will still be called the European Grand Prix when its held there and that Barcelona will be known as the Spanish Grand Prix so all the promoters can make damn sure we know the difference.

That was at Catalunya! LOL

*scratches head* it was?

*googles it*

Bloomin Nora! My Bad! Sorry I was fooled by the fact that unlike every other race at Catalunya I remember more than just the result!

I stand corrected. Was also the weekend Max became head of FISA apparently!

like I said earlier my betting is Barcelona will still be the Spanish Grand Prix and Valencia will still be the European

Well it doesn't matter a toss about the race quality, the level of local support, or any of the things that make F1 what it's always been - motor racing.
It's a sign of the times that F1 is now a business of marketing where success or failure is predicated on the money coming in and sod every other consideration.
Motor racing - even F1 - trails a distant second to that, after all it's only another product to market (as far as Bernie's concerned, and he has everyone by the short hairs).
As long as Spain can muster enough Euros to pay the entry fee for holding the race at Barcelona or Valencia or both, fine, but as soon as their money dries up it's "hasta la vista, baby" to either or both.
Won't be sorry to see Valencia go, nor Bahrain (but that's fodder for another thread).

I imagine that Valencia will still be called the European Grand Prix when its held there and that Barcelona will be known as the Spanish Grand Prix so all the promoters can make damn sure we know the difference.

Bernie has already said he only wants 5 GPs in Western Europe on the calendar and the way things are it will certainly look that way - i put a thread on here a while back so i'll have to dig it out

Nurburgring and Hockenheim will continue to share the German GP although I think one of the tracks is having 2nd thoughts as its no longer owned by the government or getting government backing

Suddenly Silverstone's future is more brighter now than the rest of Europe except MOnza and Monaco on the calendar

I think the European GP will be scrapped eventually if other tracks are willing to pay what Bernie demands ultimately

Back
Top Bottom