Banning refuelling was stupid and led to driver deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reportedly on his deathbed Dick Seaman told one of his crew "It was my fault, I was driving to fast for the conditions". The crash was on a very rainy day on the old Spa circuit, when he span off and hit a tree.

The italian cars were crap as well reliability wise, but they weren't anywhere near as ridiculous design wise as the later garagiste cars (some had fuel tanks front, rear, left and right for balance).
I'm pretty sure that Lancia started with the fueltanks at ridiculous places. They put them in between the wheels at the D50.

Indeed so Wombcat, here's a section of the D50 with the tanks very handily placed along side the driver and between the wheels.

d501.jpg

and the Ferrari156, looking at this section view, had the fuel tanks either side of the driver as well.

fer156a.jpg

Oh dear, I've just come across this report from the 1967 yes that's the 1967 South African GP and it says this:

For the first time, the Kyalami circuit near Johannesburg was being used. There were some changes in the driver line-ups: John Surtees was driving for Honda, Mike Spence signed for BRM whilst Pedro Rodríguez was on trial for Cooper. Denny Hulme led Jack Brabham away from the start, but the Australian soon spun, handing second place to Surtees, but by lap 21 had managed to regain 2nd. Further down the field, local privateer racer John Love was doing very successfully, rising up to third place in a 4-cylinder Cooper Climax. On lap 41, Brabham retired, followed by Dan Gurney on lap 44. On lap 59, Hulme had to pit for more brake fluid, handing the lead sensationally to Love. A magnificent drive was heartbreakingly halted as with just seven laps left he had to sweep into the pits to take on more fuel. Rodríguez took a fine win for Cooper from Love in second place and Surtees in third.

But wait, if they were still able to re-fuel a car in the pits in 1967 then doesn't that mean it wasn't banned? Erm.... That's a bit awkward isn't it? That means that there couldn't have been a re-fuelling ban in 57 or 58 or any other year until 1984. It means that a 1961 rule to hide the fuel filler couldn't have effected the ability to re-fuel a car. (in fact if you look at the top of a Lotus 33 for example the access to the fuel cap is clearly visible.) Oh well.......

After C_a_T's latest bombshell we can say the only time refuelling was banned was from 1984.

The only driver killed by fire during this period was unfortunately Elio de Angelis. This was actually during a test session with limited marshalling and he actually died from smoke inhalation after been trapped in the wreckage. This wasn't caused by carrying an excessive amount of fuel.

I think this is argument over.

Alan Jones stopped for fuel to try and cure a pick up problem at the Monaco Grand Prix in 1981. I seem to recall the fuel filler on most cars in the 70's and 80's was under the roll hoop (until Gordon Murray designed the BT52 with a pressure filler system on the side of the car.

Here's another good reason for not allowing in race refueling

Here's another good reason for not allowing in race refueling

And to not carry out illegal modifications to your fuel filler rig !!
whistle.gif

You can see the fuel filler cap just under the roll hoop in this drawing of a Type 79

lotus79.jpg

Oh dear, I've just come across this report from the 1967 yes that's the 1967 South African GP and it says this:

But wait, if they were still able to re-fuel a car in the pits in 1967 then doesn't that mean it wasn't banned? Erm.... That's a bit awkward isn't it? That means that there couldn't have been a re-fuelling ban in 57 or 58 or any other year until 1984. It means that a 1961 rule to hide the fuel filler couldn't have effected the ability to re-fuel a car. (in fact if you look at the top of a Lotus 33 for example the access to the fuel cap is clearly visible.) Oh well.......

I believe the correct term is QED!

Someone lock the thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom