Automotive Museums

Here you go siffert_fan RAF Museum in London & RAF Museum Cosford - free family fun activities

I've never been so can't comment on how good/bad they are.

Planewise, I went to the Hendon site a couple of years ago - excellent. there's something a bit wrong about admiring ME109s and Stukas but they do look rather good. The Duxford site is supposed to be very good too and they do a lot of air displays in the warmer months.
Fleet Air Arm Museum in Somerset is good too if you're down that way.
Naval Aviation Museum, Royal Navy Helicopters, Aircraft, South West

Duxford is well worth a visit. This image is of the American hangar with a U2 and and A10 hanging from the ceiling. The Blackbird they have is till dripping fuel even after all the years it has been sitting in the museum.

dux2003-10-02.jpg

Just read in Autosport the sad news that the Donington Collection will close its doors on November 5th, apparently for good. I spent many happy hours there over the years and this feels like a real loss for the next generation of motorsport fans.

Very sad news indeed, although I have to admit its glory days were long gone, as some of the real prizes were sold to keep it afloat. Still, it is always bad news for motor racing enthusiasts when such a storied museum ceases to be.

Hopefully other museums will snap up the collection instead of it ending up in private hands.

Sadly, Donington as a circuit got used in a political game of F1 finance which is where the trouble started and from this, I believe, the whole circuit and associated infrastructure has never recovered. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense knew it was in no way suitable for modern F1. Of course Dear Old Bernie knew that as well and was hoping the BRDC would blink first.

With the track being out in the sticks so to speak, the museum obviously doesn't attract the causal passing trade.

Just read in Autosport the sad news that the Donington Collection will close its doors on November 5th, apparently for good. I spent many happy hours there over the years and this feels like a real loss for the next generation of motorsport fans.

I'm actually going tomorrow for one last look. Will post pics.

Not exactly car related, but have any of you visited Bletchley Park? Is the museum worth a visit?

Personally I haven't yet but a colleague I work with said its really good. Apparently its quite a big site with lots to take in but well worth it.

Thanks for the input. I think we will visit it on this trip. I am especially interested in seeing the Colossus!

just visited the Silverstone museum. fantastic day out so many fantastic things to look at & watch. you can even have walk around the old circuit at bridge. & go on viewing platforms around luffield. i think its a must for all F1 fans that live in England

ill get some pictures up for you all soon

Last edited:
The British GP trophy, which i may have delayed the picture being taken by looking at all the names on trophies LOL
20220413_172858.jpg

2014? mercedes F1 engine
20220414_114831.jpg

the entry sheet for the 1987 british GP
20220414_120510.jpg

nice view of luffield (with my dad unknowningly photobombing)
20220413_203008.jpg
20220414_120307.jpg

a nice comparison of bridge corner 2022 v 2009
silverbridge 2.jpg
silverbridge 11.jpg

20220414_121902.jpg

the 1958 World driver & constructor championship trophies
20220414_120904.jpg

1999 mclaren 2014 red bull 1992 Williams
20220414_000038.jpg

20220414_120247.jpg

20220414_114700.jpg