Automotive Museums

rufus_mcdufus

Champion Elect
Here you go siffert_fan RAF Museum in London & RAF Museum Cosford - free family fun activities

I've never been so can't comment on how good/bad they are.
Planewise, I went to the Hendon site a couple of years ago - excellent. there's something a bit wrong about admiring ME109s and Stukas but they do look rather good. The Duxford site is supposed to be very good too and they do a lot of air displays in the warmer months.
Fleet Air Arm Museum in Somerset is good too if you're down that way.
Naval Aviation Museum, Royal Navy Helicopters, Aircraft, South West

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
Duxford is well worth a visit. This image is of the American hangar with a U2 and and A10 hanging from the ceiling. The Blackbird they have is till dripping fuel even after all the years it has been sitting in the museum.

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
. The Blackbird they have is till dripping fuel even after all the years it has been sitting in the museum.
:o
You'd have thought they would have stopped filling up the fuel tank then, if it isn't going anywhere! :facepalm:

... And I thought I was stupid..! :ermmm:

Galahad

Not a Moderator
Valued Member
Just read in Autosport the sad news that the Donington Collection will close its doors on November 5th, apparently for good. I spent many happy hours there over the years and this feels like a real loss for the next generation of motorsport fans.

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
Very sad news indeed, although I have to admit its glory days were long gone, as some of the real prizes were sold to keep it afloat. Still, it is always bad news for motor racing enthusiasts when such a storied museum ceases to be.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Hopefully other museums will snap up the collection instead of it ending up in private hands.

Sadly, Donington as a circuit got used in a political game of F1 finance which is where the trouble started and from this, I believe, the whole circuit and associated infrastructure has never recovered. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense knew it was in no way suitable for modern F1. Of course Dear Old Bernie knew that as well and was hoping the BRDC would blink first.

With the track being out in the sticks so to speak, the museum obviously doesn't attract the causal passing trade.

RasputinLives

Doesn't look a bit like Jesus
Contributor
Just read in Autosport the sad news that the Donington Collection will close its doors on November 5th, apparently for good. I spent many happy hours there over the years and this feels like a real loss for the next generation of motorsport fans.
I'm actually going tomorrow for one last look. Will post pics.

siffert_fan

Contributor
Not exactly car related, but have any of you visited Bletchley Park? Is the museum worth a visit?

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff member
Premium Contributor
Not exactly car related, but have any of you visited Bletchley Park? Is the museum worth a visit?
Personally I haven't yet but a colleague I work with said its really good. Apparently its quite a big site with lots to take in but well worth it.

siffert_fan

Contributor
Thanks for the input. I think we will visit it on this trip. I am especially interested in seeing the Colossus!

Top Bottom